Lost Gold

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
Here is another story of loosing gold in Minnesota in the early 1920’s at blue lake.

Two men built a fish house large enough to include bunk beds and set up light housekeeping. They planned to spend the winter fishing commercially. After catching a load of fish, they would take it to the twin cities and sell it. One man was resting on his bunk. A signal told him he had a fish on his line. He rolled over to grab his line and $500 worth of gold coins came tumbling out of his bib overalls. Most of the coins fell through the ice and into the lake. Allegedly they have never been found.

Anyone for a swim?

C

colmn

How deep is this lake ? If you can locate it, i'll help you recover. I have a 3 inch dredge with a t-80 & 35 ft of hose.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
he stole it was the story he told to his BUDDY

OP
OP
Wetgreenie

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
I know what lake it is, and have a map.
Aaannd to top that off ....there is another gold story on the same lake
I have not mentioned due to it being in a shallower area I may be able to chase myself.
The story dang near tells where the sack was dropped.

OP
OP
Wetgreenie

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
colmn said:
How deep is this lake ? If you can locate it, i'll help you recover. I have a 3 inch dredge with a t-80 & 35 ft of hose.

I checked the map i have and the deepest hole is 30ft.

There is also a sunken old paddle boat. That there are a few pictures of.

ragu

Dec 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
anyone go to this yet? I'm working on scuba. just went through my open water class, doing advanced in april and getting certified this summer.

Detector-guy

Jul 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple years ago My buddy and I spent the summer looking for the paddle-wheeler in Blue Lake North of the point where the paddle-wheeler was said to have sank. We were using side scan sonar and then diving on potential targets. We ended up finding 4 other boats and only a groove in the bottom where the paddle-wheeler was possibly dragged out... While we were running side scan and preparing to dive on a target, an old man came out to the shoreline and asked us what we were looking for. We told him a paddle-wheeler. He said its not in the lake anymore but he said I'll show you the actual paddlewheel that was on it. He brought us to his property and in the weeds was this paddlewheel made from large "dump-rake" wheels with angle iron welded between them connecting the 2. on the outer rim of the wheels were several angle iron brackets shaped like the number 7 that wood planks were attached to to make up the "paddles". The guy told us that most of the lumber form the paddle-wheeler was used to build a house in Princeton, MN. Here are three links to videos I took of some of the other boats we found in Blue Lake:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread