Pass Christian Gold

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Comments by leading citizen John H. Lang in his book of 1930.......

There had been a fire in the block now occupied by the Catholic Church, when seven or eight buildings, including the church, had been burned by an incendiary.
After the fire, Nicholas Butchert, bought a lot, adjoining what is now the Exchange Building. He employed a half-breed Indian/Negro, named Narceise, to plow the ground upon which to grow vegetables. One day, while plowing, he struck an old earthen pot containing quite a sum of gold and silver coins. He took the pot in his arms and at once proceeded to Butchert's place of business and turned the contents over to Butchert, who immediately counted the coins and equally divided the number with Narceise. However, he kept the gold half and gave the silver to Narceise.
Like all Indians, Narceise was fond of his liquor and proceeded to have a general good time. He would have a dance at his house every night for quite a spell, and would shout, "Dance, my children, dance! Papa got plenty money!" The silver coins soon disappeared, but he began producing gold coins instead. So it appeared, that he had made a division even before going to Butchert. Therefore, no one ever knew the total amount of money that was found in this old earthen jar."

salty dog

Aug 10, 2005
Southern Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Garrett GTP 1350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Good post Gypsy !
I bet there's still some of that gold left in the ground there !
I hope some one finds it and posts it here.

Happy Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread