Copeland Gang

onemississipp

Dec 20, 2006
Tupelo, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Before his death on the gallows, James Copeland made a full confession to Sheriff Pitts at Perry County. He detailed how his clan had buried some $30,000 in gold in a swamp near Mobile and later reburied the treasure in the Catahoula Swamp of Hancock County, Mississippi. (Pitts, 1980, p.100 and p.107)

The James Copeland legend lives today. Treasure hunters as late as the 1960s, had been searching sections of Pascagoula and Gautier for burial sites of the Copeland gangs stolen booty. (Higginbotham, 1967, p. 27)

Good Luck!!!!

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
Hi Greenie, I wouldn't waste my dreams on that Cpoeland trove. Pretty reliable stories from times past pretty much have a member of the Copeland gang that was heavily in debt , obtaining one of the mysteriously coded "maps" that was lost in the gunfight, and a week or so later bought a wagon(s), mules, a slave etc., and went into the freight hauling business. There were two books written about all the exploits of The Copeland Gang. One named many of the political and influential men of the time that actually benefited from dealings with the gang. For that reason, most all of the books were confiscated and banned before they could spread the word on the deeds of the dastardly dudes. Copeland crew were some Evil folks and according to the book, had some highly unlikely, yet helpful friends.

bigm

Jan 6, 2008
I would sugest you might want to look on the banks of big creek lake just north of tanner willams road on the east side. private property though

mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread