Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting link. Count me in. There is one in my area. Tried to explore a while back, but its way over-grown, and the mosquitos, deer-flys, and ticks were unbearable. Gona try to get in there this fall. I hear Brewton is private property and super overgrown as well. And most of Gainesville is on Stennis (Govt Land).
If yall come up with something good, id even be willing to carpool and stay overnight. Whether it be hotel or campsite. Cooler weather of course.

OP
OP
redbronco

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do believe we need to start planning, it can stay hot forever.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree. The reason why I suggested 2-days, is because the first day would likely be consumed with travel, exploration, and trying to secure permissions.
Guess this time of year would be good for planning, or a likely 1-day recon trip.
Hopefully it wont stay hot forever... lol.
PM me if you have something particular in mind.

OP
OP
redbronco

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would like to try Americus, think I know where it is, looked over the area maps/images. That would have to be late winter, after deer season. Pulled the tax maps and have tried to contact the owner but no response. You might have some different intel. Agreed, some of these would need to be 2-day runs, with all that you would need to do to hunt the area and having the time to really cover it good. I also posted on the facebook page if anyone some sites, stories, etc., we would be glad to bring an extra detector for them to use. Never can tell, maybe someone will remember an old family story about some mason jars.

Slad74

Jun 3, 2015
Mississippi, USA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend
ML Equinox 700
ML Equinox 800 (sold)
Garrett PP AT
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 250 (sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like fun.

I was looking at a magazine last night, and there was a brief article about old WW1 military camps...it listed Camp Shelby. Is there anywhere around Shelby that would be open for us to detect on? Or maybe places where we could get permission to go? If so, we might could find some neat stuff...

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Would like to try Americus, think I know where it is, looked over the area maps/images. That would have to be late winter, after deer season. Pulled the tax maps and have tried to contact the owner but no response. You might have some different intel. Agreed, some of these would need to be 2-day runs, with all that you would need to do to hunt the area and having the time to really cover it good. I also posted on the facebook page if anyone some sites, stories, etc., we would be glad to bring an extra detector for them to use. Never can tell, maybe someone will remember an old family story about some mason jars.
I tried to do some research on Americus/Brewton a couple years ago, but unfortunately my memory is a little vague now. Most of the info I got was from reading the book, google earth, and what little info I could find online. I never drove up there. I think I even found some stuff you posted on t-net a few years ago about that area. Maybe I need to read the book again, I remember it was a good book. I heard its all private property, and there is one road, but its gated and marked no trespassing. Did you try the Jackson County GIS site? Jackson County Dashboard
I have a copy of that book on Copeland if you want to borrow it sometime.
Id also like to check out some of those other towns a little north of here like Rodney, Gainesville, and that other one I cant think of at the moment.

Sounds like fun.

I was looking at a magazine last night, and there was a brief article about old WW1 military camps...it listed Camp Shelby. Is there anywhere around Shelby that would be open for us to detect on? Or maybe places where we could get permission to go? If so, we might could find some neat stuff...
I don't know much about Shelby, but I do know there are WW2 POW camps scattered all over the state. The (CCC) camps, Civilian Conservation Camps are another good place to look. They were part of Roosevelts New Deal and there are tons that are/were all over the country.

Last edited:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey fellas, I'm always up for a road trip. Let me know if/when you are going and I will make plans to go as well.

Jblack

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bronco, you know I'm always down for hunt even if we know it's going to suck lol. I say let's wait for cooler weather, hook both the campers up and head out. I can sleep about 8 in mine so we could really make this happen

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems you've got a good group together here Andy!
My last of three surgeries (hernia) was in January, so I'm itchin for a mission this fall!
One night or two, I can do.
Ray

OP
OP
redbronco

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray, I have seen you around the La. forums so I knew you were still alive but way to hot on your scale right now. Please keep in touch with us, have a lot we are looking at doing and hopefully it will start to cool down by late September. Cryer, their is always room for more MDers anytime you can join us. We are looking for some CW sites up your way, so if you have a spot or some info, we would be glad to work with you. Slad, we hit Shelby back in the spring but I am sure we are going back. Too many rattlesnakes when it heats up, too many hunters in the fall till Jan. 31. The old pow area is outside the fenced area, you just have to know where you are at. PB, I did go on the Jackson Co. GIS - good site by the way. Guess we just need to go knock on some doors and see what plays out.

OP
OP
redbronco

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have been to Camp Shelby but not lately. Hope to go again in late winter, after hunting season. Haven't done anything on the ghost towns. Soon hopefully.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd be interested in Joining a hunt... I am most always available.. I live in Harrison County

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions