Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friar's Point Hidden Treasures

The Clifton clarion. (Clifton, Graham County, A.T., Ariz.), 19 June 1889.

1.jpg

The Clifton clarion. (Clifton, Graham County, A.T., Ariz.) 1883-1889, June 19, 1889, Image 4 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I assume the MS River has changed over the years, so this spot may be on dry land instead of on the bank (or may be in the middle of the river).
I would love to find $500 (face value) gold coins today!

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it was totally a publicity stunt. Back in 1899 if cpl people found $500+ in gold it would have been a much bigger story. No names mentioned so that is the 1st clue. The 2nd clue is no one would bury gold along a river bank knowing the possibility of flooding.

I researched a story about a gangster that hid his money in jars and lunch pails on a farm In the St Louis, MO area. The story was true however soon after he was murdered someone knew or heard what he done with his money and they went and dug it up. I found the farm, the still sites and the woods where the money was supposedly buried. I detected the woods for over 6 weeks and found nothing conclusive but what appeared to be a cpl of old lunch buckets. Since they actually used pails for lunch boxes back then I guessed they could have been dug up and discarded after removing any money. The pails so rusted it was hard to tell what they were. What gave me the clue was the lid to pails close by. I have always questioned myself is that what I wanted it to be or was it really old lunch pails confirming the legend.

S

stefen

Good read...I like short stories with happy endings...:thumbsup:

Next?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread