1899 Silver and Gold Hoard...Richmond,MO

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
New York Times
July 14,1899
Richmond MO

Neighbors digging in the ashes and ruins of Thomas Graves dug up several jars of money,gold and silver.
Mr. Graves and his elderly sister were murdered in the home,and then the home burned to the ground to conceal the crime.
Mr Graves was reported to be a miser and it believed the murderers hoped to secure his hoard.Neighbors are still digging near his home looking for more.

comfortablynumb

Sep 8, 2009
NW Missouri
Earlier this year, I had done some research on some historical plat maps, and believed I had located the Graves home location. Living so close to the area, I took a road trip, metal detector in tow, thinking it would be an easy trip to ask permission to hunt, find some of the coins, and have a great story to tell.

After arriving at the location, it became apparent that more equipment would be needed...ie. dynamite or wrecking ball, jackhammer, & maybe some earth moving equipment.

The location of the Graves home is now covrered with concrete, brick & just a bit of nicely landscaped dirt!

Oh well, maybe the owners will decide to abandon their nice spread in the next 30-40 years! I did have a blast researching this - and what an adrenaline rush when I saw the name "Graves" on the plat maps I was able to view. That was treasure in itself that I was actually able to affirm that a family names Graves lived in Richmond in the late 1890s.

I do appreciate Gypsy locating and sharing the legends of Missouri. Haven't heard from you in a while Gypsy, hope you are well!

K

Kentucky Kache

comfortablynumb said:
Earlier this year, I had done some research on some historical plat maps, and believed I had located the Graves home location. Living so close to the area, I took a road trip, metal detector in tow, thinking it would be an easy trip to ask permission to hunt, find some of the coins, and have a great story to tell.

After arriving at the location, it became apparent that more equipment would be needed...ie. dynamite or wrecking ball, jackhammer, & maybe some earth moving equipment.

The location of the Graves home is now covrered with concrete, brick & just a bit of nicely landscaped dirt!

Oh well, maybe the owners will decide to abandon their nice spread in the next 30-40 years! I did have a blast researching this - and what an adrenaline rush when I saw the name "Graves" on the plat maps I was able to view. That was treasure in itself that I was actually able to affirm that a family names Graves lived in Richmond in the late 1890s.

I do appreciate Gypsy locating and sharing the legends of Missouri. Haven't heard from you in a while Gypsy, hope you are well!

That kind of research keeps you going. Now go find another good one, because they're out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread