Gold Coins Still Buried On This Farm?

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
I understand you thought of why I don't believe it. People go to all sorts of extremes to find anything of any value with metal detectors, and have been doing so for well over 40 years. It is hard to find a virgin spot, although they are everywhere. So far as the gold coins. Those kinds of rumors abound. Even if the story is true, I would find it hard to believe that no one else has tried to find them. If you are confident of the story and know the source is reliable and that many people don't know about it then go search.

I would like to do some calculating, or maybe someone else would do it. Add up all the totals of gold coins minted and divide that into the total square miles in the United States. This would give you a number of gold coins per square mile in this country. They are like finding a needle in a haystack. I would bet that way over half have been sold and melted down, some are in collections, and many will never ever be found.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Todays Pattonsburg is a new location.The town was moved after the floods of '93.Big Creek and the Grand River devestated the original town.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting topic... and article.
I'm sad that I won't have any time to really look into this before I leave. :'(

Bran <><

OP
OP
treasure_researcher

treasure_researcher

Nov 18, 2008
warsawdaddy said:
Todays Pattonsburg is a new location.The town was moved after the floods of '93.Big Creek and the Grand River devestated the original town.

Thanks for sharing this info!

OP
OP
treasure_researcher

treasure_researcher

Nov 18, 2008
jhettel said:
I understand you thought of why I don't believe it. People go to all sorts of extremes to find anything of any value with metal detectors, and have been doing so for well over 40 years. It is hard to find a virgin spot, although they are everywhere. So far as the gold coins. Those kinds of rumors abound. Even if the story is true, I would find it hard to believe that no one else has tried to find them. If you are confident of the story and know the source is reliable and that many people don't know about it then go search.

I would like to do some calculating, or maybe someone else would do it. Add up all the totals of gold coins minted and divide that into the total square miles in the United States. This would give you a number of gold coins per square mile in this country. They are like finding a needle in a haystack. I would bet that way over half have been sold and melted down, some are in collections, and many will never ever be found.

I've heard of other people trying to do this math. It just doesn't work! Do this. The earth is covered mostly in water. Figure up all the spanish mint coins that went down with shipwrecks. Divide that into the square miles of ocean, and you would get the total number lost per square mile. This is probably why nobody has ever found any coins from shipwreck galleons?

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I have to disagree with you. I do think it would work, heck it would have to work. If you had the total number of gold coins minted in the United States and the total square miles within the lower 48 States the math would be simple and it would have to work.

However, I just took out my guide to United States coins and found a problem. There are many pages of gold coins listed and to simply add up all the numbers from this book would take a very long time. I may do it, but it does seem like a long task.

3,537,441 is the total square mileage of the United States. I just took that off the web and I am not sure if it includes Alaska and Hawaii but it probably does. What that does say is that there were hundreds if not thousands of gold coins minted per square mile of the U.S. Heck, in just one year, 1928, there were 8, 816,000 double eagles produced. I would guess that most of the gold coins were melted down by the treasury department, and now sit in Fort Knox as solid gold bars.

I hate to admit it, but bad idea.

OP
OP
treasure_researcher

treasure_researcher

Nov 18, 2008
jhettel said:
I have to disagree with you. I do think it would work, heck it would have to work. If you had the total number of gold coins minted in the United States and the total square miles within the lower 48 States the math would be simple and it would have to work.

However, I just took out my guide to United States coins and found a problem. There are many pages of gold coins listed and to simply add up all the numbers from this book would take a very long time. I may do it, but it does seem like a long task.

3,537,441 is the total square mileage of the United States. I just took that off the web and I am not sure if it includes Alaska and Hawaii but it probably does. What that does say is that there were hundreds if not thousands of gold coins minted per square mile of the U.S. Heck, in just one year, 1928, there were 8, 816,000 double eagles produced. I would guess that most of the gold coins were melted down by the treasury department, and now sit in Fort Knox as solid gold bars.

I hate to admit it, but bad idea.

Ok, well I can't disagree with you because I would NEVER sit down to try to figure those numbers, ha, ha. I DO know that the U.S. treasury dept. states that there are millions upon millions of dollars "unaccounted" for. Money that was put into circulation but has just "disappeared", and this has been going on since money was first being distributed in the U.S. In fact, the dept says that "hoarding" is, and has been, the main explanation for this through the years. :thumbsup:

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Here is another story from NW Missouri you might like to read. I live here in Maryville and I have heard stories of this treasure all my life. The fact that $150 in gold coins was found in 1905 when they moved this house makes people believe that there is more. Personally, I think there was probably much more then $150 and it was all recovered. Who knows, unless someone finds some more thats probably all there was. Folks around this part of the country are pretty tight lipped sometimes, I can easily believe that if there was more found whom ever found it kept their mouth shut.

http://www.shoreheritage.com/records/talbott/legend_02.pdf

HH Charlie

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I don't know anyone who has found a gold coin.

I found an interesting object while hunting a civil war site in Central Missouri. I dug a counterfeit gold coin detector. I had no idea of what it was and posted it on the "what is it" forum and someone wrote back that it was a counterfeit gold coin detector and even gave me the patent information. I looked it up and it was patended around 1855, mine looks a wee bit different but it is definitely civil war. Believe me, I have hunted the site until not even a minnie ball can be found, and no gold coins. However I can say that after finding close to 20 half dimes that there are a hundred times that amount at this site. Half dimes are very small and hard to detect. This field was plowed for many years, and I know that there are hundreds of half dimes in the ground waiting to be found, but they are all below detection range. A site further down the road was stripped of all of its topsoil and we were finding civil war relics three and four feet down from the original top of the soil. I even found a complete beer bottle from the civil war.

There are probably gold coins in the area, heck if the soldiers had half dimes and dimes surely some of them had gold coins, and then there is the matter of the counterfeit gold coin detector.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You never know what is true. When my Grandmothers brother died on a farm in MO, I rember being 15, we went up there and I was impressed with the old steel milk container on the dairy farm...what impressed me was they was all filled with coins...the brother was eccentric, sold milk and pitched all the earnings into the jugs....this was in 1969. Who know how many years worth of coins was in them containers.

OP
OP
treasure_researcher

treasure_researcher

Nov 18, 2008
savant365 said:
Here is another story from NW Missouri you might like to read. I live here in Maryville and I have heard stories of this treasure all my life. The fact that $150 in gold coins was found in 1905 when they moved this house makes people believe that there is more. Personally, I think there was probably much more then $150 and it was all recovered. Who knows, unless someone finds some more thats probably all there was. Folks around this part of the country are pretty tight lipped sometimes, I can easily believe that if there was more found whom ever found it kept their mouth shut.

http://www.shoreheritage.com/records/talbott/legend_02.pdf

HH Charlie
Great story thank for posting! I'm gonna have to do some research on this one again. I remember that doing some research on this about a year ago. I couldn't find any records of a Dr Perry Talbott who ever lived in Nodaway County! I'm going to check again. Maybe I missed some information? I checked old census records.

Here's another link related to the doctor's gold story. http://www.shoreheritage.com/records/talbott/legend_01.pdf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread