Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is the lost treasure of Murder Rock?

As the legend goes as told by one of Alf Bolin’s outlaw gang members is that Alf buried gold and silver from many of his famous robberies close by a cave in the Fox Creek Hills area.

This is quite possible since most of his devious robberies took place on Pine Mountain, which is commonly referred to as “Murder Rocks”. Pine Mountain is just south of Kirbyville, Missouri and only 10 miles south of Forsyth, Missouri. There is a new highway there now, which is around 60 miles east of the old road, which Alf Bolin and his gang use to take. The old road passed by the limestone rocks called “Murder Rocks”.

These famous rocks were where Alf Bolin and his outlaws would hide in awaiting until travelers came by and then they would rob and murder, thus the origin of the name.

The cave is believed to be around two miles southwest of Old Mincy Store and Mill. Remember, if you go in search of this buried treasure, it was not buried in the cave. The cave was only used as a marker so Alf Bolin could find his treasure once it was buried. More information regarding the exact location of this cave is vicinity of section 20, township 22, Range 20 in Taney County, Missouri.

Many people have heard the story about the treasure, passed down from members of the gang; however, no one has find even one gold coin since the treasure was buried in the 1800’s.

Bolin was not a likeable sort and many in the area prayed for his demise. During the time of the Civil War, Bolin of course, was robbing whomever he could while the men folk were off fighting. He would frequent the home of a friend in the area by the name of Foster, until one day when Mr. Foster, a Confederate soldier, was captured by the Union army. One brave Union soldier made a deal with Mrs. Foster, if she would help capture Bolin, that her husband would be freed. This was the demise of Bolin, he came to visit the Foster’s and while enjoying a meal, the Union soldier posing as a sick Confederate soldier beat Alf Bolin to death with a fire poker. His head was placed on a pole in Ozark for all to see. When he died so did the whereabouts of his booty.

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
River Rat, I grew up right around the corner from Murder Rocks...I have been there many times when I was young....One of the first post that I started on T-NET was about this cache....Someone on here sent me a pm telling me that it has been found....I dont have any proof of it....just a verbal say so....Steve

oldfieldmo

Feb 16, 2008
Oldfield, Missouri
I grew up in Hollister and I have been all over some of that area. The land around Murder Rocks is being "developed". Branson has already put in a big golf course, the new airport is going in and the new Murder Rock subdivision. All of this is on the west side of JJ Hwy. JJ runs above the rocks now, but the old wagon road run below them. Mincy is on the east side of JJ towards Bull Shoals Lake (a.k.a the White River Basin). I have heard rumors years ago of old guns being found in a cave between the rocks and Turkey Creek. The railroad runs from Branson and follows Turkey Creek to it's beginnings near the Ark-Mo border where the tracks pass through two old tunnels close to Omaha,Ark. I have seen some neat old stuff there as a kid(depot foundation from the old town destroyed by tornado,old homesites,graveyard,etc) but have not had a chance to go back and do any detecting. Mike

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ricklt said:
I have been in this cave. It is located on state property making it illegal to dig there.
This cave has been detected many times.... my grandpa took me to it in the 60's...it was full of holes then...some had been there for a long long time. The cave was not the hiding place for the loot....but was supposably used as a landmark to help find the cache...Steve

ErGarber

Feb 17, 2016
Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
River Rat, how sure are you the old road is 60 miles west of the new one? Is that a typo? ricklt I assume the cave you know of is on Drury-Mency conservation land. Where about? Johnny Morris and Bass Pro claim the cave is on the golf course land. I assume to get people to come to the area. Oldfield I believe that town is Melva. I went there a few week ago also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread