Man vs bear fight to the death

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a story of a lost mine and cabin in western Montana. A person found the cabin and the remains of the man and bear along with a very old broken rifle, then he came across the mine, tools and ore pile. He never could find the site a second time, researching I have come across two other cases of man vs bear death matches, bringing the total to 3. Posting this from work off my tablet.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
In all three cases the remains discovered from the three mentioned above fights to the death, showed both died from their wounds and the weapons laying at the sites dated from the 1800's. As I said one of these dealt with a lost mine and cabin site, and the other two were in different counties on the western edge of the state south of the lost mine report. If anyone has the book "Dying to Hunt in Montana" two of them are covered there. In theory their were more incidents simply due to reports of bear attacks still happen a couple of times a year out here.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Back to proofing the book which deals with the lost mine. Teton county and/or Lake county are the regions. Teton is the Willow Creek region, Lake county is Doris Creek. Both were mentioned in the past by Penfield and Terry but I came up with much more background info.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Tonight's news had another bear attack on a hunter near Hungry Horse Resorvior. It reminded me this is pretty close to the Doris Creek area, which is mentioned in Willow Creek Lost Mine story. 9/25/17 for date

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread