IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting lead, wish I knew that area better....

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a note, Lavina is NNW Of Billings and Red Lodge is SSW of Billings. Is there any more information or leads?

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a BIG stretch of country to check....LOL. I'm wondering if the old trail didn't go down through Stillwater county, and on to Laurel, and then down to Red Lodge?
Jim

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The railroad that went south from Laurel branched off near Fort Rockvale and continued on to Red Lodge. That branched route was disassembled and no longer in use. As for the railroad tracks the head north, they are still being used.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I will put the story in a book I am doing. The western heritage museum on Montana ave in Billings wants one I got done and one I haven't wrote yet, but am working on currently. The Lavina Rd at a point of rocks where the fellow cached the loot and could still hold the missing $993 is in the rims area near the airport. Lavina Rd I believe is now hwy 3, Google Zimmerman trail and check that area out. It was an old stagecoach road years ago. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Another update! I have to admit I might be wrong on where I thought the caches were buried. As we are doing a 2 ND edition of Custer country, my wife came across an interesting article which provides better information on the Point of Rocks. I will have to do some topo map searching and will get back to this one. The article also implies multiple hold-ups, which means more treasure stories.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Might as well update this one there is a second cache from a stage robbery from an old article and the stop is narrowed down to the point it is worth a look. North of airport.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread