Treasure Hot Spot

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
This section of the state is loaded with sites of reported lost treasures, treasures found. Ghost Towns and old mining camps. If there is one spot of the state to have a vacation this would be it. Hopefully the map will expand enough. loaded with lost treasures.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Near the bottom of the map we have Bearmouth, several caches were reported having been found here in the 60's I believe. Just down river a ways a train holdup and some of the loot was hidden and never found. From Bearmouth heading north it really gets good.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Bearmouth itself was claimed to have had some caches found in what I assume was the early days of the metal detecting hobby. Maybe there is something on them in old newspapers? We will have to give it a try to find any info.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I had my wife research for discovered caches at Bearmouth, she told me she is finding a few. I have not seen what she pulled up yet. I let you know later, she is still working on it. Me I just finished working some on a place a bit north of Bearmouth on the map (Beartown). Working from my new laptop and getting use to it. I think it doesn't cost me anything cause I can write it off on my book business.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Well new facts behind the caches for Bearmouth, some finds were made but they date further back then the metal detector!
From 1905
FOUND IN THE MOUNTAINS
–––––––––––
Sack Stolen from Northern Pacific Train in the Month of October, 1893.
––––––––––––
Phillipsburg, Aug. 18─The registered mail pouch taken from the Northern Pacific train on the night of October 24, 1902, by an unknown train robber, has been found cached in a lonely spot in the mountains about five miles from Drummond, land about three miles northeast of the railroad. The discovery was made by a prospector named A.J. Howell. He reported the matter to Postmaster Featherton, at Drummond, and the latter went with him today to the spot where the pouch had been securely cached under a rock in the midst of a heap of boulders on the mountain top.
The pouch and contents, badly mutilated by mice and squirrels, was brought to Drummond, and the find reported to the United States authorities by wire. Every letter in the pouch had been opened, and all valuable contents extracted. It cannot be stated what the amount of booty secured was, but as far as can be ascertained at present, it was not large. The robbery of the Northern Pacific train on October 24, 1902, has never been fixed upon anyone; except that Christie has claimed that Hammond, who was his partner in the second holdup at Bearmouth, had confessed that it was his work.
It is said at Drummond that Hammond was working on a ranch near Ovando, in Powell county, both before and after the date of the first Bearmouth holdup, on October 24, 1902, and that the cache just discovered was on the route which would naturally be'taken by a man going from Bearmouith to Ovando by the most circuitous I way, and avoiding the well traveled roads. The contents of the pouch show conclusively that it was taken from the train at the time of the first holdup, The registered envelopes bear dates from October 20 to 23, and none have a later date than that last named.
The robber, whoever he was, chose an admirable spot in which to leisurely go through the pouch and its contents, as, from within the mass of boulders, a good view of every approach may be had. It is said that a man armed with a Winchester could, from a these natural defenses, have easily stood off 50 men.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
BIG LOOT FOUND IN BURIED TRUNK
––––––––––––
OFFICIALS BELIEVE CACHE FROM NORTHERN PACIFIC TRAIN ROBBERY SEVERAL YEARS AGO.

A few weeks ago, a Granite county prospector stumbled on the abandoned cabin of a fellow miner by the name of Miles. At the time, it was believed to belong to a man named James Mellon. Ownership of the cabin may be important later on. The prospector found this cabin to his liking. He decided to “hole up” for the winter within its walls. He prepared to stock up for the winter months when the snow is deep and traveling difficult.
One of his first steps, in preparation for his all-winter stay in the cabin, was to dig a small cellar under the floor for the purpose of storing vegetables. He removed the planking and set to work. The second blow of his pick penetrated something that his ear immediately told him was some kind of a box. He at once laid aside his pick and seized a shovel, with which he carefully removed the earth, disclosing an ancient trunk.
Quivering with excitement, he lifted the trunk out of the hole and placed it on the cabin floor. Throwing up the lid, his eyes met a sight that was breath-taking. The trunk was packed with packages of greenbacks and packages of bonds—money of all denominations.
The prospector plunged his hands into the trunk contents—to find that a portion of it was like Dead Sea fruit. The money and bonds were so badly decayed that they broke into dust as soon as they were touched. A large sum was destroyed by handling it in this manner.
This dry rot did not extend throughout the entire contents of the trunk, however. Only the upper layers affected. The prospector, it is with an honesty that is seldom unparalleled, took his find to the sheriff of the county and turned it over to him. where, as stated, it now awaits proof of ownership. The Miles cabin, where the trunk was found, is located on the outskirts of the village of Maxville. Maxville lies between Bearmouth and Phillipsburg. All of the circumstances appear to point to the find as having been part of the Bearmouth train robbery loot. Since Frankhouse and McDonald are both dead, proof of ownership of the money can only come through the Northern Pacific, it is said. That is why the ownership of the cabin in which the trunk was found becomes important. Should the Northern Pacific fail to prove ownership, and the money can be identified for exchange at the United States treasury, two Montana prospectors should be "sitting pretty” this winter.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
From the above two cache stories it appears bury your loot is the best advice. Otherwise the mice and squirrels might get it.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Least the map expands well with my tablet. A Mount Baldy shows across the river NW of Bearmouth. We have a nice article on a lost miners rich ore, but there are locations named Mt Baldy all over the state.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
North of Bearmouth across the river, travel north until you see Tenmile Creek on the left. This was the scene of an old mining camp, nothing is said to remain, but doesn't that make it a better place to check out?

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Up Bear Creek to the point Deep Creek joins is the site of Beartown. 1865 gold was discovered and the population was somewhere between 2-5 thousand. It had a hotel, several saloons, a brewery. Chicago Joe a brothel madam brought in some gals to provide what the saloons couldn't. Makes one wonder where I would of spent my money if I was living back then. They say nothing remains here, but that isn't so. Better detailed topo maps show there is a cematary and an old mine.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
All sorts of interesting things can be learned researching these old places. Like the fact that the little cemetary could have had a woman buried there. But the miners thought for some reason it wouldn't be right, not that it was holy ground which it wasn't! So they took up a collection and had her buried at New Chicago. That's down river a few miles from Bearmouth and pretty much a ghost town today. She probably gets as much company now as she would of gotten had she stay.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Thought I put up a nicer map of Ten Mile Creek site of placer mining operations in around 1866. Tin Mile Creek.png

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I also have a better map for Beartown. some things worth checking out still exist. Beartown.jpg

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've checked alot of that area, but a good chunk I checked was all private land, so I gave up. You might be better at it, good luck!

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I've checked alot of that area, but a good chunk I checked was all private land, so I gave up. You might be better at it, good luck!
Just posting portions of a book in progress. But lets see if I can provide a spot you can check out.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Map Caption: If one follows Deep Creek Road for just over 2 miles heading east from Beartown, they will come to the site of Springtown. This old camp site can be used to find Reynolds City, which lies to the north; and Top O’ Deep which is to the east of Reynolds City. Looking at this map one can see Gambler Creek. This whole region was all part of a vast placer mining operation years ago. Stringtown.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it has been roughly 13 years or so since I was a regular poster here on this site. Back then I made plenty of finds and posts, few today know who I was. Jeff of PA might be the only one. The current book will be my twelfth, with a few more to go and this state is done. Later I will post some more interesting treasure spots for the map on the first post. Are you folks aware of the second train robbery near Bearmouth? If I remember correctly, a bunch of loot was stashed nearby. I think it was diamonds.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Garnet on our first map is protected and being restored, but you just might be able to take away treasure in another form. Researching a magazine called Ghost Town Quarterly from Phillipsburg, Montana because I ran across 2 of them and never heard of them. I found someone posted on a ghost town forum about visiting Garnet and there was a table full of the magazines. The volunteer told them to help themselves to a copy of each volume. Since I found these out of print magazines listed on Amazon for roughly $25 to $30 dollars each. I have to wonder if the offer is still there to help oneself?

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Speaking of Phillipsburg and those old Ghost Town Quarterly magazines, I called a place there and told them about a book I was working on. They are interested in it and I still have some work to go. I am pretty sure once they receive a free sample they will want to order.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
They claim there is a big demand for ghost town material, good thing I add maps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread