Mystery of the Lucky Jim Mine

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a good story folks can call total BS and I think for this one they might be right. It made several newspapers over the years and even made that hard to find book "Treasure State Treasure Tales" by Moore. Supposedly a miner named Gohnue or Gobnue dug down 75 feet and the ore was so rich the vein looked like the gate to heaven. He never sold any ore and asked why, said it was so rich he had to cache it away right away. His mine was on Bald Mountain. But there are several Bald Mountains and no clue to which one. They say an accident caused his death and he was found on the bottom of the shaft. It is odd since his body was recovered and it being so rich a mine no one ever filed on it. One old timer said he wasn't interested in the mine since it is haunted and the ghost doesn't want him up there. Anyone got further information on the Lucky Jim Mine?

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Now since several Bald Mountains exist. I got to wondering could this be the Bald Mountain south of Bannack? It was that Bald Mountain that was thought to be the possible source of the gold found at Grasshopper Creek. The 'mother lode' was never found, remember the story of the Big Swede Olafson? He found the ore worth $12,000 per ton and went insane 1867 roughly.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now since several Bald Mountains exist. I got to wondering could this be the Bald Mountain south of Bannack? It was that Bald Mountain that was thought to be the possible source of the gold found at Grasshopper Creek. The 'mother lode' was never found, remember the story of the Big Swede Olafson? He found the ore worth $12,000 per ton and went insane 1867 roughly.
I find that curious, Bald mountain is close to Bannack and Argenta, both of which have been rich sources of gold. I have been to the top of "Old Baldy" a few times, but I wasn't looking for any mines or shafts...... Maybe I should have another go sometime....:laughing7: There is A LOT of country around that mountain though, If it were that particular Bald Mountain, It could take years to find!

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Then south of Phillipsburg, south of Rock Creek is another high elevation nickname Baldy years ago, but was never official named that. There were a few others I spotted when making maps for my treasure stories.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I do think the story is a bunch of BS, but I have to include it, I do know try as I might I will never discover them all. Even the first books we did now have more lost treasure stories that turned up.

nathanj

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2007
There is a significant bench placer deposit south of Bannack. It was mined extensively and looks to be pulling from vast eroded lode deposit that is now either gone or undiscovered. I would check around this area.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions