Another Version of the Lost Cabin' Story 1884.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The daily enterprise. (Livingston, Mont.), 19 Jan. 1884.

000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg
000ccc.jpg
000ddd.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...t=&proxValue=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=9

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
See if you can find the article of a Miles City man, his obituary Lowe I believe is the name. It includes mention of being with a wagon train in Wyoming. They met a man escaping on foot named Hurlbert. Hurlbert is a central figure of the early lost cabin mine stories. Evidence Hurlbert did exist. I got it in my books. Searching you can come up with some interesting things.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easier Find

3 results containing “hurlbert lost cabin”within 50 words of each other

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Your article to start the post was signed
-old timer in New Northwest
it also appeared in the Bozeman Weekly Chronicle
Jan 23,1884
and was first received from Deer Lodge

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
ok Jeff here is the one you need you:
The Dillon Tribune
June 7, 1912
Passing of one of the Montana Pioneers
William Lowe

He met Hurlbert the man in the legends of the Lost Cabin Mine stories.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
In time I will get around to putting it up for everyone. I had to include it in my Wyoming books anyway.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The one thing is this Hurlbert version of the Lost Cabin Mine falls into Montana and two different places in Wyoming.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I took to long to get this up, but here is a brief typed version of what it has to say. It is a story brief that I posted on my facebook page.
Lost Cabin Custer Country is another story with more information about the elusive lost cabin mine. There is much written about this legendary lost mine which has remained lost to this day and many do not believe the tale. But in this one we include the newspaper article about the passing of a Montana pioneer (William Lowe) dated 1912. His last place of residence was Glendive. What is interesting is it tells about his being with a wagon train near the Platte bridge (1864) when the group came across a man named Hurlbert. Hurlbert was one of the men who found the lost cabin mine and was the sole survivor after being attacked. Some from that group tried to return to the mine, but could not locate the site. It was the only reference I came across that proves Hurlbert actually existed. Also included is the story about a group of soldiers trying to chase down some Native Americans and force them back to the reservation. During a brief rest they came across a mound with crumbling quartz rich in gold. Efforts to relocate this also failed, some believe that it could have been the lost cabin mine site.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is what I have on Lowe that died at Miles City, Montana. It tells of coming across Hurlbert of the Lost Cabin Mine story.

Part 1 Lowe 1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread