Treasure Stories in Nebrasaka

OP
OP
K

kmwahoo

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2008
Thanks, that is pretty cool. I had an oldtimer tell me about a wagon train on the Ox bow trail that was ambushed and the survivors buried what was left of the deceased's belongings. I do not know much more about the story or where it is located. I live pretty close to the Ox Bow trail. There are a couple of farms that still have ruts. One farm, has what is supposed to be two graves. I have metal detcted it before and only came up with a few chain links and some old beer cans. My detector is a very cheap Walmart model. Has anybody else ever detected on the Ox bow trail.

BLee

Feb 24, 2009
I'm not too familiar with the Oxbow Trail but I have detected ground on a similar trail in Nebraska that has been alot of fun and has produced some neat finds. How much time have you put in on detecting your trail? If it was a well used trail you should find a few musket balls laying around. Just do some research and detect fields that the trail went through. They are alot of fun. They are our Civil War era areas in Nebraska. Let me know if you want some advice.

taz in omaha ne

Mar 15, 2009
Omaha Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White's XLT E-Series Metal Detector + Garrett MH ADS-7 + Garrett GTA-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im in Omaha an have been looking for a few good places to search an may have a great place if i can get a good map of what im seeking. Also been looking at detecting old schools an such. Seeing i drive truck here i also seem to find some great places to detect lol. Just boring when it seems you the only one who detects in a major city lol

OP
OP
K

kmwahoo

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2008
I have not worked the trails very hard. I can't seem to find any time to do it. I also know of an old square log, house. My dad had an old log cabin on his farm, I detected the area and found some old Iron and a door knob. Does anyone no where to look and find information about the oxbow trail?

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kmwahoo said:
I have not worked the trails very hard. I can't seem to find any time to do it. I also know of an old square log, house. My dad had an old log cabin on his farm, I detected the area and found some old Iron and a door knob. Does anyone no where to look and find information about the oxbow trail?

You might go in to the state historical society and ask them for some help. They should be able to direct you in the right direction, and they should have all the old maps and other info on where the trail was at and where it went. Since you are in Wahoo, you're not that far away from their offices.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
kmwahoo said:
I live pretty close to the Ox Bow trail. There are a couple of farms that still have ruts. One farm, has what is supposed to be two graves. I have metal detcted it before and only came up with a few chain links and some old beer cans. My detector is a very cheap Walmart model. Has anybody else ever detected on the Ox bow trail.

I have hunted a couple of locations along the Ox-Box Trail which is also known as the Old Fort Kearny or Nebraska City Road. All of which are variants or branches of the Oregon Trail.
However most of my Trail hunting has been on sites along the main Oregon Trail routes. Getting landowner's permission and locating sites can be very time consuming so you need time and patience.
Also I might add ...if you are going to spend your valuable free time searching for relics - DON"T USE CHEAP EQUIPMENT generally you get what you pay for in metal detecting equipment.

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
Well...I know of a town that isn't around anymore, and from all
the research I've done has only successfully pulled up one plat
map from 1900's long after most of the town had gone to the
ages. Shows where the town square is, the market square and
one or two outbuildings are, so I have a pretty good indication
where to look too. Problem is getting the owners permission
to hunt the fields as they don't live anywhere near the land lol.
I've been wanting to come up to Wahoo to do some detecting,
weather permitting, next weekend (May 8th 9th or 10th).
If your free, maybe we can hookup and see if we can't find someplace/thing cool to post. Email me if your interested so we can hash out ther details.

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
I remember reading of an incident in Plattsmouth back in the 1890's
or so...Apparantly a group of people were traveling east from California.
Not exactly laden with gold, but according to the rumors of the time,
they did have some they were using in Plattsmouth I suppose.
Anyway, for some reason, several townsfolk decided to run these
folks out of the area and they were supposed to have buried caches
in a field somewhere outside of Platsmouth. Wish I could remember the web site I read about it on.

taz in omaha ne

Mar 15, 2009
Omaha Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dam i read this also an it had alot of detail about the incident such as where the location was an how the town folks ran them outta town. I also think it's in one of my books here so now i gotta go look thanks to you LOL.

CowboyKolo said:
in a field somewhere outside of Platsmouth. Wish I could remember the web site I read about it on.

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
taz in omaha ne said:
Dam i read this also an it had alot of detail about the incident such as where the location was an how the town folks ran them outta town. I also think it's in one of my books here so now i gotta go look thanks to you LOL.

CowboyKolo said:

Quite welcome, maybe we can tag team research and find the field it's supposed to be in then retire to the bahamas or something lol

OP
OP
K

kmwahoo

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2008
Sorry Cowboy,

I have not checked this site in a while. I have a farm that has two creeks that run through it and one of the creeks is the Oak Creek. Cowboys used to drive cattle along the oak creek to Schuyler. I have a friend who found some Indian artifacts on the property. I am going to use a screen box and dig in the creek where there are some rocky deposits and see if I can come up with anything. Next time you are around let me know. Its hard for me to find the time to get out. But I sure enjoy it.

There are a lot of old town settlements in Saunders county that are now gone. The only ghost town that is still around is Rescue. I have the plat map of what the town used to look like. Anybody else have any names of towns.
Thanks

nightrider5020

Greenie
Nov 6, 2004
Lander, WY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Cowboy and others,

I have some of the research almost completed with several stories in Nebraska. As a matter of fact, I'm traveling to Western Nebraska tomorrow to check a couple of sites.
Look me up if you want to try a few places. I'm ususally in Columbus most of the week for work, but travel.

Dave
[email protected]

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
brucebob said:
Anybody still out there?

We're still here, and we're still looking........... Even finding a few items for a change.

brucebob

Jun 14, 2011
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
nebstater said:
brucebob said:
Anybody still out there?

We're still here, and we're still looking........... Even finding a few items for a change.

Glad to hear from you! Where are you from if you don't mind me asking?

taz in omaha ne

Mar 15, 2009
Omaha Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
brucebob said:
nebstater said:
brucebob said:
Anybody still out there?

Ya there are a few of us still around here. In Omaha Area here.

Glad to hear from you! Where are you from if you don't mind me asking?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread