Treasure Stories in Nebrasaka
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    us
    Dec 2008
    5

    Treasure Stories in Nebrasaka

    Hi everyone, I am making my first post. I am from the Wahoo area. I was wondering if anyone has any good Nebraska treasure stories. I love the historical value of a good legend.

  2. #2
    us
    Mar 2007
    Northwest Missouri
    ACE 250
    3,935
    65 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

    Re: Treasure Stories in Nebrasaka

    I don't know any treasure stories but here is a ghost town story you might like.

    http://www.legendsofamerica.com/NB-Crookston.html


  3. #3
    us
    Dec 2008
    5

    Re: Treasure Stories in Nebrasaka

    Thanks, that is pretty cool. I had an oldtimer tell me about a wagon train on the Ox bow trail that was ambushed and the survivors buried what was left of the deceased's belongings. I do not know much more about the story or where it is located. I live pretty close to the Ox Bow trail. There are a couple of farms that still have ruts. One farm, has what is supposed to be two graves. I have metal detcted it before and only came up with a few chain links and some old beer cans. My detector is a very cheap Walmart model. Has anybody else ever detected on the Ox bow trail.

  4. #4
    us
    Feb 2009
    2

    Re: Treasure Stories in Nebrasaka

    I'm not too familiar with the Oxbow Trail but I have detected ground on a similar trail in Nebraska that has been alot of fun and has produced some neat finds. How much time have you put in on detecting your trail? If it was a well used trail you should find a few musket balls laying around. Just do some research and detect fields that the trail went through. They are alot of fun. They are our Civil War era areas in Nebraska. Let me know if you want some advice.

  5. #5
    us
    Taz

    Mar 2009
    Omaha Nebraska
    White's XLT E-Series Metal Detector + Garrett MH ADS-7 + Garrett GTA-1000
    45
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Treasure Stories in Nebrasaka

    Im in Omaha an have been looking for a few good places to search an may have a great place if i can get a good map of what im seeking. Also been looking at detecting old schools an such. Seeing i drive truck here i also seem to find some great places to detect lol. Just boring when it seems you the only one who detects in a major city lol
    Somewhere is that Pot O Gold with my name on it....And by God im gonna Find It !!!

  6. #6

    May 2008
    15
    1 times

    Re: Treasure Stories in Nebrasaka

    For anyone who may be interested, Omaha does have a metal
    detecting club.

    http://www.mhdc-ne.org/

    Always be willing to lend a helping hand.
    Stand up for those who cannot fight for themselves.
    Never compromise doing the right thing.
    Live your life in such a way, that others will be proud to have known you.

  7. #7
    us
    Dec 2008
    5

    Re: Treasure Stories in Nebrasaka

    I have not worked the trails very hard. I can't seem to find any time to do it. I also know of an old square log, house. My dad had an old log cabin on his farm, I detected the area and found some old Iron and a door knob. Does anyone no where to look and find information about the oxbow trail?

  8. #8
    us
    Oldest Coin Found is a 1853 Seated Liberty Half Dime

    Jul 2007
    Star City
    White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
    912
    7 times
    Metal Detecting

    Re: Treasure Stories in Nebrasaka

    Quote Originally Posted by kmwahoo
    I have not worked the trails very hard. I can't seem to find any time to do it. I also know of an old square log, house. My dad had an old log cabin on his farm, I detected the area and found some old Iron and a door knob. Does anyone no where to look and find information about the oxbow trail?
    You might go in to the state historical society and ask them for some help. They should be able to direct you in the right direction, and they should have all the old maps and other info on where the trail was at and where it went. Since you are in Wahoo, you're not that far away from their offices.

  9. #9
    us
    Oct 2008
    Central Great Plains
    644
    505 times

    Re: Treasure Stories in Nebrasaka

    Quote Originally Posted by kmwahoo
    I live pretty close to the Ox Bow trail. There are a couple of farms that still have ruts. One farm, has what is supposed to be two graves. I have metal detcted it before and only came up with a few chain links and some old beer cans. My detector is a very cheap Walmart model. Has anybody else ever detected on the Ox bow trail.
    I have hunted a couple of locations along the Ox-Box Trail which is also known as the Old Fort Kearny or Nebraska City Road. All of which are variants or branches of the Oregon Trail.
    However most of my Trail hunting has been on sites along the main Oregon Trail routes. Getting landowner's permission and locating sites can be very time consuming so you need time and patience.
    Also I might add ...if you are going to spend your valuable free time searching for relics - DON"T USE CHEAP EQUIPMENT generally you get what you pay for in metal detecting equipment.

  10. #10
    us
    Nov 2007
    Nebraska
    White Eagle Spectrum
    226

    Re: Treasure Stories in Nebrasaka

    Well...I know of a town that isn't around anymore, and from all
    the research I've done has only successfully pulled up one plat
    map from 1900's long after most of the town had gone to the
    ages. Shows where the town square is, the market square and
    one or two outbuildings are, so I have a pretty good indication
    where to look too. Problem is getting the owners permission
    to hunt the fields as they don't live anywhere near the land lol.
    I've been wanting to come up to Wahoo to do some detecting,
    weather permitting, next weekend (May 8th 9th or 10th).
    If your free, maybe we can hookup and see if we can't find someplace/thing cool to post. Email me if your interested so we can hash out ther details.
    The first thing you need to remember about running away is, it's the "from" that's important.  The "to" can take care of itself.

  11. #11
    us
    Nov 2007
    Nebraska
    White Eagle Spectrum
    226

    Re: Treasure Stories in Nebrasaka

    I remember reading of an incident in Plattsmouth back in the 1890's
    or so...Apparantly a group of people were traveling east from California.
    Not exactly laden with gold, but according to the rumors of the time,
    they did have some they were using in Plattsmouth I suppose.
    Anyway, for some reason, several townsfolk decided to run these
    folks out of the area and they were supposed to have buried caches
    in a field somewhere outside of Platsmouth. Wish I could remember the web site I read about it on.
    The first thing you need to remember about running away is, it's the "from" that's important.  The "to" can take care of itself.

  12. #12
    us
    Taz

    Mar 2009
    Omaha Nebraska
    White's XLT E-Series Metal Detector + Garrett MH ADS-7 + Garrett GTA-1000
    45
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Treasure Stories in Nebrasaka

    Dam i read this also an it had alot of detail about the incident such as where the location was an how the town folks ran them outta town. I also think it's in one of my books here so now i gotta go look thanks to you LOL.

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKolo
    I remember reading of an incident in Plattsmouth back in the 1890's
    or so...Apparantly a group of people were traveling east from California.
    Not exactly laden with gold, but according to the rumors of the time,
    they did have some they were using in Plattsmouth I suppose.
    Anyway, for some reason, several townsfolk decided to run these
    folks out of the area and they were supposed to have buried caches
    in a field somewhere outside of Platsmouth. Wish I could remember the web site I read about it on.
    Somewhere is that Pot O Gold with my name on it....And by God im gonna Find It !!!

  13. #13
    us
    Nov 2007
    Nebraska
    White Eagle Spectrum
    226

    Re: Treasure Stories in Nebrasaka

    Quote Originally Posted by taz in omaha ne
    Dam i read this also an it had alot of detail about the incident such as where the location was an how the town folks ran them outta town. I also think it's in one of my books here so now i gotta go look thanks to you LOL.

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKolo
    I remember reading of an incident in Plattsmouth back in the 1890's
    or so...Apparantly a group of people were traveling east from California.
    Not exactly laden with gold, but according to the rumors of the time,
    they did have some they were using in Plattsmouth I suppose.
    Anyway, for some reason, several townsfolk decided to run these
    folks out of the area and they were supposed to have buried caches
    in a field somewhere outside of Platsmouth. Wish I could remember the web site I read about it on.
    Quite welcome, maybe we can tag team research and find the field it's supposed to be in then retire to the bahamas or something lol
    The first thing you need to remember about running away is, it's the "from" that's important.  The "to" can take care of itself.

  14. #14
    us
    Jun 2008
    edgar nebraska
    garrett ultra gta 500 garrett 250 ace and gti2500
    102

    Re: Treasure Stories in Nebrasaka

    my brothers and i live in Edgar and can search some of the Oregon Trail and the Kelly ranch that is in this link.if any one would like to make a trip down this way some week end we can take you there just give me a week or so advance notice. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....s/oakgrove.htm

  15. #15
    us
    Dec 2008
    5

    Re: Treasure Stories in Nebrasaka

    Sorry Cowboy,

    I have not checked this site in a while. I have a farm that has two creeks that run through it and one of the creeks is the Oak Creek. Cowboys used to drive cattle along the oak creek to Schuyler. I have a friend who found some Indian artifacts on the property. I am going to use a screen box and dig in the creek where there are some rocky deposits and see if I can come up with anything. Next time you are around let me know. Its hard for me to find the time to get out. But I sure enjoy it.

    There are a lot of old town settlements in Saunders county that are now gone. The only ghost town that is still around is Rescue. I have the plat map of what the town used to look like. Anybody else have any names of towns.
    Thanks

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

buried treasure in nebraska
,
ft kearney treasure stories
,
gold treasure trails nebraska
,
metal detecting maps in kearney nebraska
,
nebraska gold stories
,
nebraska maps
,

places to metal detect in nebraska

,
stories of buried treasure in nebraska
,
treasure along the oregon trail/nebraska
,

treasure stories in nebraska

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0