jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A book about hidden treasure in Nebraska didn't involve pirates, but a small-town resident who preferred to hide his money rather than put it in a bank.

Alison Johnson lived every page of the book called "The Eleventh Hour Can't Last Forever." "Everything in the book is exactly as it happened."

The story takes place in Palisade, Nebraska, northwest of McCook in Hitchcock County. She writes about her family, including her father Dean Krotter, a wealthy man who owned two houses and seven buildings on Main Street.

"Along about 1958 or 1960, he would go down to Omaha or Lincoln on business and when he came home he would say, ‘Oh, I stopped in to chat with Warren Buffett and he keeps trying to get me to invest in his new company, but I tell him I'm saving silver nickels.'"

Krotter didn't trust banks so he took his money and bought gold and silver coins. "It was just a very wild thing because he had hid these all over. They were up in the attic, some of them were buried, they were in kitchen cupboards, they were in dresser drawers, they were under beds."

They amounted to a million-and-a-half dollars worth of coins. "It was a treasure hunt to end all treasure hunts."

By the time Alison and her family were done searching they had found nearly two tons of gold and silver coins and as she mentions in her book, she's not really sure if they found it all.

http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/44649452.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread