jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evening star. [volume] (Washington, D.C.), 20 Jan. 1942.
000aaa.jpg
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...&andtext=ring&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

MCX

Apr 21, 2018
NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done the hike to the crash site (I live just north of Goodsprings in Henderson). Still some aircraft wreckage strewn about. Supposedly, also some human remains still there, but I didn't see any bones. But, they'd be hard to see with all the loose scree, desert scrub, etc. Lots of old mines on the way to Mt. Potosi (they're literally everywhere) and some good ancient petroglyph & pictographs sites, too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lostflights

Sep 28, 2020
Las Vegas, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garett AT-Max and ATX
Primary Interest:
Other
I make this hike regularly. I’m at about 60 trips to the site since my first visit in 1990 and have recovered thousands of various artifacts from the site including quite a few from Carole Lombard and others that were on the flight. The traditional use of a metal detector at this type of site is useless due to the quantity of metal above and below the surface. That said, a metal detector or pro-pointer is useful to distinguish the absence of metal. To be successful at recovering items at an aircraft accident site you really need to think in reverse of your standard recovery technique.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread