• zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz4.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz4.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 695

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
That's a great story. I have heard of the gold on the isle of shoals. I have always wondered if I can detect out there or not. That would be a fun trip just to try some detecting on the island.

CoinSniper

May 28, 2006
Nashua, NH
This has probably been asked somewhere here before but I was curious if anyone knows whether one can legally detect/dig on the Isles of Shoals? I understand there is a ferry going out to Star Island but I think there is some kind of resort there now and the entire island owned by them.

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Don't know but I'd love to give it a go :)

YoungGunTHer

Apr 28, 2008
Portsmouth NH
Detector(s) used
MXT
I'm a Lobster fisherman and we fish mostly at the shoals all year round. During the winter there is someone who stays on the island, we some times pick them up and drop them off. So i am sure If i asked i could get permission to hunt, the Island is usually pretty desolate in the fall. I've been looking for another hunter to roll with for a while now. Whos with me?!

Hope

Sep 12, 2008
Curious - did anyone make it out to Isle of Shoals this summer? If so, how was it?

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Hmm, Currently, Appledore Island is primarily occupied by University of New Hampshire biological laboratories. My pa is a tenured professor of biology at UNH, and could probably arrange a few of us to get out there on one of their transports. If nothing else, we'd see some some seals, eh? I doubt anyone there would give a second thought to anywhere we wanted to dig (within reason).

TidePool

Nov 14, 2007
Upstate NY
NHbenz said:
Hmm, Currently, Appledore Island is primarily occupied by University of New Hampshire biological laboratories. My pa is a tenured professor of biology at UNH, and could probably arrange a few of us to get out there on one of their transports. If nothing else, we'd see some some seals, eh? I doubt anyone there would give a second thought to anywhere we wanted to dig (within reason).

I'd be interested in the spring/summer! I always saw the islands from a distance growing up on the parents boat and always wanted to get out there, but boat was too small. :-\

treasurechicNH

Sep 30, 2008
Southern N.H.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex + Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always wanted to detect the Shoals, I have read so much about the Pirates hiding there treasures on the islands, It would be a dream come true!

JLatham

Greenie
Nov 30, 2008
Central New York
Knowing of the Isle of Sholes both having fished and dove in the area its absolutely beautiful, my father lives up in Walpole and we make a yearly trip out there, I would love the opportunity to go again for a dive to look under the waves!, (although the Coast Guard gets a little testy when you approach their little isle now)

YoungGunTHer

Apr 28, 2008
Portsmouth NH
Detector(s) used
MXT
JLatham said:
Knowing of the Isle of Sholes both having fished and dove in the area its absolutely beautiful, my father lives up in Walpole and we make a yearly trip out there, I would love the opportunity to go again for a dive to look under the waves!, (although the Coast Guard gets a little testy when you approach their little isle now)

I was just at the shoals today, I have been out there almost 5 days a week for about 5 years now. Never set foot on land though, but I have never seen the coast guard give anyone problems, I rarely see them out there. Anyway, I've been looking to get into diving myself, do you metal detect under water at the shoals? Any treasures? do tell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread