Detector choices

bpress54

Tenderfoot
Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
I'm new to TH/MD and I have done a little research and narrowed my detector choices down to either a Garret Ace 150 or a Tesoro Compadre. I know these aren't top of the line models, but I don't want to shell out a whole lot of money at the get go and then discover I don't really like TH/MD. So I'm wondering if anyone would like to offer their opinion on these two machines and let me know which one they would choose and why. I like the lifetime warranty on the Tesoro, but I like the interchangeable coil feature on the Garret. Thanks

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Tesoro Compadre is an all around better machine. More sensitive to gold jewelry and a better discriminator. You would have to go up to an Ace 350 to beat it. Good Luck!

OP
OP
B

bpress54

Tenderfoot
Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, so I've done some more research and decided that most of my detecting is probably going to be on the beach. I'm now considering the Garret Ace 350 or the DetectorPro Pirate. Any thoughts on these models? I'd really like a unit that I can use both wet and dry without spending a whole lot.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Terry, can the Tesoro be used on the beach?

In the DRY sand the Compadre is a killer. No single-frequency VLF detector works well on wet saltwater sand. A "VLF," or very low frequency type metal detector, works extremely well on dry sand and in fresh water. It does not work as well in saltwater, or on wet ocean-water beaches. In highly conductive saltwater conditions pulse induction or "PI," (Tesoro Sand Shark) and multi-frequency VLF "BBS" metal detectors (Minelab Excalibur) excel.

The VLF metal detector sends 4,000 - 80,000 radio waves per-second into the ground. When the radio waves hit something conductive - like an iron nail, gold ring, coin or aluminum pull-tab, a magnetic field sets up around the object and a particular signal frequency is transmitted back to the detector's receiving coil. VLF metal detectors have the ability to "discriminate," or tell what type of metal they are seeing by "reading" the return signal frequency.

An iron nail for example, has a different frequency than a silver coin. The processor in the metal detector knows the difference between the two, and can be set to remain silent when seeing the nail. However, the radio waves bounce off everything that is conductive in the sand or water. This is why VLF detectors must be "ground balanced" to work effectively in highly mineralized soil, or on highly conductive saltwater beaches. You must tune or adjust the machine to see through the "fog," or white-noise created by the salt and iron in the sand or water you are detecting. Unfortunately, this usually leads to a loss of depth and stability with most VLF detectors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread