Dennisville

VERODIGDUG

May 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know they was a prominent ship building company off dennisville creek as well as a few capt's houses, which are now in the marsh along with many other properties, based on an overlay of an 1800's map. Any stories about any treasure in the dennisville area? I grew up in south Dennis and still visit family there. I know the town very well but just found what appears to be an entire community next to the old tracks.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
The ship building place is at the end of Goshen landing rd. I've been there. The dry ground is privately owned and posted.

As far as the railroad, I think you are talking about the old train station pictured below?

The Search Area is the old rail yard. The station is also marked.

Attachments

• railroadstation.png
    railroadstation.png
    327.1 KB · Views: 202
OP
OP
VERODIGDUG

VERODIGDUG

May 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is actually what I was talking about. This is an overlay of a 1878 map of the area. You can see what looks like a group of housing in what's now the marsh?
I also remember going down Jakes Landing road and seeing old gravestones on the right side and then completely uniformed rows of trees on the left side further down. Do u know any historic significance about the trees or headstones? I've included the overlay pic Im talking about.

Attachments

• image-2922780183.jpg
    image-2922780183.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 192

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
The overlay isn't matching up correctly. If you move the 1878 map up and to the left it would be correct. A lot of historic map works maps don't align perfectly.

The houses were still in what is now marsh but they are actually along RT 47.

Jakes Landing Rd is mostly in Belleplain State Forest and off limits without permission you probably would not get. Worth a try but unlikely. Look at it in google maps. The very end of jakes is not in the State forest.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread