🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: NEW JERSEY'S TREASURE SHORES

Jeff:

Thanks for those posts!

I usually do not get out to the shore to hunt, but I can tell you first hand that I have met treasure hunters that have done very well researching wrecks on the Jersey Shore. I Have seen plenty of Reales pulled from the sands of NJ.

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx

I come from a fishing family and have heard of a lot of ships found but never talked about. They have found stuff from them but kept it to the local fisherman. My grandfather has seen gold and plates from one sunk in the channel area. Also I thought I read somewhere that they just found one with the dredge. It was doing the beach replenishment thing and was scattering it on the beach somewhere I think Delaware. I will have to look into the area stories and old snag books from some fishing boats. If I find anything I will let you know. Thanks for the tips. Keep them coming I need all the help I can get. lol

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx

ok on this city of athens why was there 3 mill and I cant find it anywhere that is says that. I know where the ship is and can go to it anytime. can some one help with info on this boat

Kut2TheChase

Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 NATO - Explorer SE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Red_Bank

To make matters worse for the British and Hessians, the six British man-of-war ships were engaged by smaller American gunboats. During the engagement, two of the ships, the 64-gun man-of-war Augusta and the sloop-of-war Merlin ran aground on a shoal trying to avoid a series of underwater obstacles called chevaux-de-frise which were large wooden spears weighted down on the bottom of the river by heavy crates filled with rocks to pierce the underside hulls of intruding British warships. The next morning, unable to drag the Merlin off the shoal and not wanting to let the ship fall into American hands, the British set fire to the ship, while the Augusta was set on fire by American batteries from Fort Mifflin and the next day, it exploded.

So, do you think they got the gold off BEFORE they set it on fire?
Seems unlikely they left the gold onboard...

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx

good story wrong boat names lol wold love to tell you but cant :icon_thumleft: find the right boat and the story will make sence.

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx

doing re now but i think storys got twisted towo made into one. I have the exploded boat but you have the wrong name. I might be wrong there could have been two but I dont think so as of nowwww.

blackbeard1717

Sep 10, 2010
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This summer I found 2 Reales one 1798 and one 1811 the one Reale I found was near Squam the date doesn't match the live Oak

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you do your research you will find over 2000 shipwrecks of the Delmarva peninsula.

Happy hunting - see ya some where along there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions