HIGHJACKED MULE TRAIN GOING TO MINT.

COMPAQKID

Oct 18, 2006
AZ
The High jacked Mule Train, From Gold Mine to Denver Mint.

Around the 1890's three young men came out west to New Mexico to make a new life. However after a while they weren't to lucky at finding a job, so they started small time high jacking and robbing stage coaches. In their idle time they tossed gold coins into the spring at their camp.

One day they heard of a mule train loaded with gold bars headed to the Denver mint. They decided their odds were pretty good to take the guards by surprise. They ambushed the group and in fact did kill all the guards and also lost one of their own and one was wounded. The two then took the mule train back to their camp and unloaded the gold bars into an old prospectors dig at their camp. They took the mules several miles away and shot them.

Now the wounded one died and the lone survivor buried him at the camp. He became scared of the idea of being alone and likely the object of a manhunt for him, so he took off and went back east, where he settled down, married and had at least one son.

Never having told anyone of his exploits he finally broke the silence on his death bed and told his son the story.

In the mid 1950's the son came out to New Mexico and hired a pilot to fly him over the area his father told him about. It was early spring and there was still snow on the ground. The son must have decided give up the idea of finding his father's old camp and went back home.

Now the pilot, having heard this story, didn't forget about it and he and my dad drove several times to the area and confirmed several points of the story. My dad also told an old friend of this and the friend told when he had worked with the CCC crews in the '40's and while improving the springs in that area, had found a spring with old gold coins in it.

However after about 60 years the snow melt can wash a lot of soil down and, while the area has been found, it will likely take a deep penetrating metal detector to locate the gold bars. I spent several weeks at the site the summer of 1961 and we found clues that this was the site, but lacked the equipment to complete any deep searches. We had dug one hole 17' deep at one point and there was not a single rock in the dirt. Also at that depth found chunks of horse manure. Later we started a trench about 6' deep from the hole and ran into a lot of rocks from fist size to 3' dia. This area of the hole fits the description of the location in the story.

It will take a good metal detectors to find this. It is on National forest land.

The best option would be a ground penetrating radar.

If I can get a backer to help with this project, I can take a crew to the spot.

I can be reached at e-mail [email protected] for more information.

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
If, as you say, you can take someone to the site
Why do you need a "Backer(s)" ?
Why not a/some reliable/honest "Partners" ?
You already have your "SHARE" in
They can now go along and handle the rest

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
COMPAQKID:

This is the second version of a gold shipment to Denver mint story I have
heard in the past two years and wonder if it reaches a climax near Alamocita
River or Creek? What I never got straight was where this gold originated.
The bullion I mean. You need to ask yourself if the tale has legs. Was there
a gold mine anywhere within a hundred miles of where the legend began?
And would the bullion story be broadcast to be heard by a couple of yahoos
out in the wilderness? I know, that's how it happens in the movies but if
these two heard it it was from an insider involved in the robbery. What
happened to him? When these lost treasure tales end with an old coot on
his deathbed you might as well put it on the shelf with the rest of the long
gone fairy tales.

Did that discourage you? Hope not because it should start your research
project to try to disprove the yarn. If you can't prove it couldn't have hap-
pened then maybe you're on the right track. Best of Luck.

lastleg

Ecominer

Banned
Mar 20, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III; Garrett Master Hunter;2009 Minelab Explorer SE Pro; Quantro Discovery Land Tone Magetometer 1A;
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this is the spring north of Magdalena and not to far from Alamo, I heard several years ago, (since this last post above) that I believe was a group of Texans came in, spent a few days or weeks, and left hurriedly. Supposedly they left the remnants of a hole somewhere around this spring. So I believe the individual above found his partners or backers, came in an found the gold and left. It would be interesting to find out who the Compaqkid is, and whether is wealth picture has changed considerably in the past eight years.

Osiyo

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When

Be nice to know when this took place. This was silver mine country I thought. I can place some of the Dalton Gang in Deming in 1892 along with a gunfight. The Daltons worked the silver mines, their partner knew shipments on trains .....The Daltons pulled a robbery in Silver City in 90 or 91.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread