This Very Rich Mine of Juan Mondragon

Nov 2, 2009
This very rich mine of Juan Mondragón was first worked by the Spaniards. They knew how to find gold with wooden rods, you see. Then the mine was worked by the Sãnchez from over there, in Mora... They found it and took mules loaded with gold to Mora, and they buried the gold there in a house and in a church.

And then there were these three Germans. They used to live in La Cueva, where the road turns to the left, to Las Vegas, nearby the big orchard they planted when they found the rich mine of Juan Mondragón. The corral was filled with cattle and sheep, because they were millonaires, ad the house is still there, on the hill. It has a wall about four feet high, made of rock and it's big, very big.

The three Germans came all the way from Buena Vista on a spotted donkey and early one morning they simply disappeared somewhere between Tres Ritos and the Cañada de los Alamitos. They disappeared for three or four days and they came back with their spotted donkey loaded with small sacks and lots of gold.

It's said that on one of their return trips from up at the mine the two younger Germans killed the oldest and buried him in the mine.

When they came across a man on a spotted horse, they offered him a handful of gold for his horse, but the man said: ‘No, I don't know what this is, you see? Maybe it's worthless! You should give me a hundred dollars for my spotted horse!'

The ruins are still there, the ruins of the store where the two Germans took the man to weigh the gold. They gave him a hundred dollars and a gallon of wine for his spotted horse.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions