Search for Treasure, Franklin Mtns, about 6 Mi. back of Anthony N.M. Goes Bad 1914.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
  • El Paso herald. (El Paso, Tex.), 05 Dec. 1914.
000111.jpg
000aaa.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...=&proxValue=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=65

Feb 8, 2008
ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-Fisher 2 box & others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know about this cache of gold.
This article refers to a treasure cache located near Anthony, New Mexico. Of course there are a million skeleton canyons and you have to find the right one. I have the original newspaper clipping somewhere among my things. The story is as follows: A wagon train heading east after a number of years working the rivers of the California Gold Rush were returning home when they were ambushed and killed. They had gotten to the top of Anthony Gap when they spied a commanche war party in the distance coming their way. They made a quick turn around to hide their wagons in a remote canyon nearby. Now one of several named Skeleton Canyon. They fought a long battle, but lost the fight. Some of the men's bodies were found shot to death with arrows still embedded in their bodies. The man mentioned in the article above was looking for their lost treasure cache of gold nuggets!

Ah, but there is a lot more.....

I heard about a woman selling gold nuggets at a well known pawn shop in El Paso, TX. I inquired about them. They are unique. They are identifiable in that they can be determined to be California Gold Nuggets! ( distinct in their yellow color!) This woman has found numerous large gold nuggets in the back of Anthony, New Mexico. She found them in the desert arroyos on the east side of Anthony, New Mexico She found them with her eyes WITHOUT a metal detector. I believe the man who died from the gunshot wound and later died was a relative. I saw her truck early one saturday morning while I was out looking for the nuggets myself. She left in a hurry when she saw me. I believe that there is NO hidden gold in Skeleton Canyon off of Anthony Gap mountain. I believe that the people in the wagons threw their bag or bags of gold hurredly in the sandy arroyos BEFORE they got to the canyon! I believe the woman has been picking up only the large nuggets that she can see with her EYES. NO METAL DETECTOR!
MY OPINION: There is a rotting leather bag of gold nuggets somewhere that has started to leak its contents down stream in one or more of these arroyos, Most are going DOWN , Down deeper in the sand as they wash farther down stream. These arroyos are dry most of the time. Wet only when it rains. They won't travel that far! The source is NEAR!
8201334.jpg 34345119.jpg
663992.jpg 2323881.jpg

Last edited:

bmwwest

Dec 2, 2012
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there more stories about this that you could link me to? This is the first of any stories I have heard around Anthony. But the few times I have drove over the gap I wondered about it.

usernotfound

Sep 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
T-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Library of Congress contains folk stories of treasure of that area straight from the mouth of early settlers. Feel free to contact me by email if you would like to further discuss. Here’s my folk story for you. There was an elderly gentleman who would grab a coke and go walk East of Antony in the vicinity or direction of the racketball courts and would come back with old coins...you won’t find that document elsewhere. If you are going to search the LOC, I’ll save you some time... search for “I was on my way home from Las Cruces” and “A short time ago I stood on U.S. Highway 54” and... well, that’s enough, but there’s also on about Pedro Navarez and Slim. Attached is a picture which verifies the story posted by Jeff. I don’t live anywhere close to there, but wouldn’t be against visiting after seeing your finds Evans. Please contact me, my number is 309-3742. I think you know the area code, not the northern one but the slightly southern one. Please don’t reply by quoting this... I’ll be deleting it at a later date. I can’t have my number up too long and I have to stay true to my user name.

Attachments

• 45BABD68-8E9F-4EAA-A520-3BE3709D21D2.png
    45BABD68-8E9F-4EAA-A520-3BE3709D21D2.png
    179.7 KB · Views: 157

Mike Sosa

Oct 30, 2022
Not that I am aware of

I know about this cache of gold.
This article refers to a treasure cache located near Anthony, New Mexico. Of course there are a million skeleton canyons and you have to find the right one. I have the original newspaper clipping somewhere among my things. The story is as follows: A wagon train heading east after a number of years working the rivers of the California Gold Rush were returning home when they were ambushed and killed. They had gotten to the top of Anthony Gap when they spied a commanche war party in the distance coming their way. They made a quick turn around to hide their wagons in a remote canyon nearby. Now one of several named Skeleton Canyon. They fought a long battle, but lost the fight. Some of the men's bodies were found shot to death with arrows still embedded in their bodies. The man mentioned in the article above was looking for their lost treasure cache of gold nuggets!

Ah, but there is a lot more.....

I heard about a woman selling gold nuggets at a well known pawn shop in El Paso, TX. I inquired about them. They are unique. They are identifiable in that they can be determined to be California Gold Nuggets! ( distinct in their yellow color!) This woman has found numerous large gold nuggets in the back of Anthony, New Mexico. She found them in the desert arroyos on the east side of Anthony, New Mexico She found them with her eyes WITHOUT a metal detector. I believe the man who died from the gunshot wound and later died was a relative. I saw her truck early one saturday morning while I was out looking for the nuggets myself. She left in a hurry when she saw me. I believe that there is NO hidden gold in Skeleton Canyon off of Anthony Gap mountain. I believe that the people in the wagons threw their bag or bags of gold hurredly in the sandy arroyos BEFORE they got to the canyon! I believe the woman has been picking up only the large nuggets that she can see with her EYES. NO METAL DETECTOR!
MY OPINION: There is a rotting leather bag of gold nuggets somewhere that has started to leak its contents down stream in one or more of these arroyos, Most are going DOWN , Down deeper in the sand as they wash farther down stream. These arroyos are dry most of the time. Wet only when it rains. They won't travel that far! The source is NEAR!
View attachment 1687663 View attachment 1687668
View attachment 1687666 View attachment 1687667
Mr.Evans, Did you search on the north or south of the Anthony gap?

Feb 8, 2008
ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-Fisher 2 box & others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry Mike. I can't make anymore comments. I have generated way too many additional
searchers already. I have to wait for things to calm down as I have seen too many people out here.
I did not know that my story would bring so many people out looking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions