Dutch Schultzs treasure in Castkill

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-treasure-hunters-hunting-gangsters-loot.html

This details the show...if you watch it...its extremely obvious the coin was planted...I do not know though, that is my thought, looked too good for TV.

Thanks Chase.

What bothers me about this whole story or "legend" is that it mentions the Treaasure location near the Esopus Creek in Phoenicia.
A TH on here (Gabnn3) claims (in 2004) that he had found the burial site on the Esopus Creek--
but that it was not in Phoenicia, but about 6 miles south in Boiceville off old Route 28?
Now these two guys are looking near the Stony Clove Creek on Route 214 in Pheonicia.
What do you make of it?

Chase7628

Mar 6, 2018
CICERO NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have looked along the Stony Clove Creek...and believe I have a decent location to check that seems plausible long/near Stony Clove Creek. Remember the roads were most likely smaller when doing measurements...per one of the stories, there is a measurement involved from the road to the location. Also these searchers that are hiking miles in off the road or off the railroad to get to locations, all forgot one thing...during the time period most likely Schultz and his man were wearing suit pants, dress shirt, maybe suit coat (although they prob removed that) and had on dress shoes, they were not dressed for expeditions into the woods at that time, so most likely I would guess 100 yards into the woods would probably be as far in as they were going give or take some. Also the weight of the chest, Schultz was not a large man 5'7" is what most say for height, and he was not a strong man, so they were not lugging this chest very far into the woods either. It was also most likely buried in Sept. or Oct. I believe it happened a little before he passed...some believe he buried earlier in the year. Sept in the Catskills can be extremely buggy and there is still a lot of growth in the area...which make me believe it was an area he had been before or he was familiar with or was easily accessible at the time. If you follow one of the stories, he buried it the day he was shot, so your looking at Oct. which could be very wet, snowy or dry, but the plant life and bugs would be much less and make a trek easier into the woods then. But again I do not believe he went more than a 100 yards off the road or parking location, unless there was a trail, which even then I do not see Schutlz and his man carrying the chest and shovel much further in.

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Chase:
I agree with you 100%.
Do you discount Devil's Tombstone Campground and Devil's Face as possible burial sites?

Chase7628

Mar 6, 2018
CICERO NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not discounted any areas...one of the stories we had read had a specific measurement from the road, a mark on a tree and some other symbols and we found them...apparently when digging they broke their shovel and it was buried...well we measured out a distance give or take, found the symbols mentioned and a large sunken portion of ground in the area (which would show something was buried there and the ground settled over time) hit the area with a metal detector, got a large hit...started to dig, at about 3 feet down we found a broken shovel, and almost **** our pants...we dug for almost 4 more feet after the shovel and nothing...if that was the spot, then the chest was found already...like some suggest Lucky Luciano and his men found....but the interesting thing was is that the map and information that led us there was backwards (the man we got the info from had miss interpreted the map) when I looked at it I noticed it was backwards, we realized this at around 6pm and we had to be back home by 9 and were pushing it as its a 3 hour drive....we headed up the road to the spot that the map actually was pointing too...did some quick detecting and then had to leave...that was last summer...after more research and using old maps, I think we def. have a handful of spots to check and will be going down this week to look.

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Chase:
Sounds like you may be onto something. Good luck this week up there.
Here's a timeline of events below:
I want to bring the "11 new indictments" made on October 10 to the forefront.
I believe it was at this time that Schultz knew he would surely be facing prison time of at least 11 years.
So, I believe this, along with Lulu spilling the beans on the first location of the loot, prompted him to
reinter it somewhere else, off the 214 above Phoenicia. This is based on the "old timer's account that he
saw Schultz and Lulu in Phoenicia on October 23.

attachment.php

Attachments

• schultz_timeline.png
    schultz_timeline.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread