jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I got, Is In Madison County.

on 9 Mile Swamp near Brookfield.
Is a Supposed Cache of $40,000.00 in Gold and Silver
Buried by a Family of Thieves.

NO OTHER DETAILS on it, SO it would take some Research.

OSWEgo County : Near the S.U.N.Y. College Campus, 4 mile south of Oswego,
coins wash ashore after floods. the coins may be from the LADY WASHINGTON, Sunk in 1803.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm Taking for Granted your Aware of FORT Dayton 1722
and FORT Stanwix 1725 & the Battle there in 1777

and Oriskany Battlefield State Park

in your Surrounding Counties.

KGCnewbieseeker

Oct 29, 2005
FL
not to burst anyone bubble but all of these legends are in my back yard:

the cache you speak of is the loomis gang's and its supposed to be in 9 mile swamp but most people think its somewhere else. nine mile is also a protected wetland..

the fort dayton you mention no longer exists and lyes under the village of herkimer ny

fort stanwix was moved about a half mile from its original location and the original location is now buried under th main highway inthe city of rome ny

oriskany battle feild as well as genneral herkimers homwe are both state parks and do not allow detecting.

Sorry

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm Sorry to hear that seeker.

? They actually Sound like they could have been productive sights.

what about the Beach area, or whatever it is, by S.U.N.Y. ?
you ever have luck on that one ?

KGCnewbieseeker

Oct 29, 2005
FL
the one near the college is a state park and Ive actually never been there. but its right near the canada boarder. may be a good site. are you new to the area?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF your asking me, NO, I'm in PA.

Was Just Curious and trying to suggest something for lilpitch37 :)

OP
OP
L

lilpitch37

Jan 10, 2006
Im new to detecting but the beaches around my area which is Sandy Pond and Port Ontario and such ive heard stuff about them being pretty good. Ive only been out to the beach detecting once and found an old spoon with some german symbols on them and some drift wood burried with some old small square heard iron nails in them, Also found above the sand a long wooden what seemed to be a possible beam to a wooden ship with wooden pegs placed in certain spots on the beam which if i recall wooden pegs havent been used for a while, i donno could be nothing who knows, I havent found anything valueable out there yet but gonna keep at it, Also if anyone knows anything about the old Coast Guard Station back in the channels there that would be helpful, I guess The water is only supposed to be about 10ft deep where it used to be and i heard something about an old pottery ship sinking right at the docks and is still there, ive been back in the channels looking for it but havent found the exact location yet, if anyone has any information about that, that would be cool.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the LADY WASHINGTON, which Sunk in 1803.

? Was also? carrying Chinaware.

I believe this to be the same one.

BY the way, Your Spoon Find sounds Intresting.

KGCnewbieseeker

Oct 29, 2005
FL
hey jeff you have a ton of info.... know any good leads in the utica syracuse area? ....... like where the mohawks lost goldmine is....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KGCnewbieseeker said:
hey jeff you have a ton of info.... know any good leads in the utica syracuse area? ....... like where the mohawks lost goldmine is....

NOTHING else for the areas you mentiond off hand.

The LOST INDIAN GOLD MINE, The Adolphus Lavigne Lost Mine, and the
Lost Nippleton Silver Mine are all in Hamilton County somewhere.

the Loomis Gang you mentioned is supposed to have buried $40.000.00 in SENICA COUNTY also.
Funny how it's the same amount as the other. I think it may be one of them legends, that everyone wants to calim for their own county history. This time it is to be in Montezuma Swamp near sennica.

CHENANGO Between North Pitcher & Pitcher at or near the Ruins of the Sulpher Springs Resort. a Traveling Medicine man Supposedly buried 2 Chests of treasure.

More may take a day., I have to RUN this after, IF I find more for your general area I'll post it here.

KGCnewbieseeker

Oct 29, 2005
FL
loomis gang actually lived and died in waterville ny so it is more likely that they buried the treasure in NINE MILE swamp as oppsoed to montezuma .... got anymore info on the medicine man? I liven near the sulfer springs and would love more details....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KGCnewbieseeker said:
got anymore info on the medicine man? I liven near the sulfer springs and would love more details....

His Name was "BUCK CROFTON" He was the OWNER of the Medicine Show.
He worked the Western part of New York with his Wife & Brother.
THEY WERE Known AS "CROFTON BROTHERS MEDICINE SHOW"
They Traveled the Whole area Known as otselic valley, selling herbs, pills, and other cure-alls
and became very rich doing this.
? ? ? ?RUMORS : During their travels they buried 2 Chests full of gold and silver coins.
the show lasted till one of their shady deals they pulled on "GEORGE WASH LOOMIS"
who was not just another mark. he was well known as the leader of the Loomis Gang.
in 1806 when a friend told them loomis gang was headed their way to kill
them all
not wanting to be robbed by the loomis' gang, BUCK & HIS BROTHER SILAS
decided to hide the 2 boxes supposedly worth $15,000.00 in silver and $4,000.00 in gold.
and? BUCKs Perscription Book, and A Morter & Pestel.

they buried them part way up a hill a short distance from SYLVAN SPRINGS the hill is supposed to be east of
the town SULPHR SPRINGS.
? The Loomis' gang Burst into the Croftons Campsite, but were seen by BUCK & SILAS, and they made
their way up another hill away from the cache site.
shots were fired back and forth. BUCK WAS INSTENTLY KILLED, Silas Took a Slug or 2 & Died later.
Mrs Crofton Caught a Ricochet, and the Loomis's left her there to die a few days later.
? BEFORE DYING SHE TOLD OF THE CHESTS.
The Coltons Friend BEN WILDE reportedly spent the rest of his Life trying to find it.

E

eternal_photos

jeff of pa said:
His Name was "BUCK CROFTON" He was the OWNER of the Medicine Show.
He worked the Western part of New York with his Wife & Brother.
THEY WERE Known AS "CROFTON BROTHERS MEDICINE SHOW"
They Traveled the Whole area Known as otselic valley, selling herbs, pills, and other cure-alls
and became very rich doing this.
RUMORS : During their travels they buried 2 Chests full of gold and silver coins.
the show lasted till one of their shady deals they pulled on "GEORGE WASH LOOMIS"
who was not just another mark. he was well known as the leader of the Loomis Gang.
in 1806 when a friend told them loomis gang was headed their way to kill
them all
not wanting to be robbed by the loomis' gang, BUCK & HIS BROTHER SILAS
decided to hide the 2 boxes supposedly worth $15,000.00 in silver and $4,000.00 in gold.
and BUCKs Perscription Book, and A Morter & Pestel.

they buried them part way up a hill a short distance from SYLVAN SPRINGS the hill is supposed to be east of
the town SULPHR SPRINGS.
The Loomis' gang Burst into the Croftons Campsite, but were seen by BUCK & SILAS, and they made
their way up another hill away from the cache site.
shots were fired back and forth. BUCK WAS INSTENTLY KILLED, Silas Took a Slug or 2 & Died later.
Mrs Crofton Caught a Ricochet, and the Loomis's left her there to die a few days later.
BEFORE DYING SHE TOLD OF THE CHESTS.
The Coltons Friend BEN WILDE reportedly spent the rest of his Life trying to find it.

Where about in NY is Sulpher Springs?? I'm from ontario, but don'tknow the regions of NY very well...what county is it in??

thanks!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CHENANGO COUNTY, Between North Pitcher & Pitcher ?

numnydar

May 5, 2006
Utica,NY
I am also from upstate NY and familiar with most of the treasure stories
1. Loomis treasure: forget it someone bought all the property and leveled all the houses and buildings...its 20 mins from my house and VERY posted
2 as for Pulaski there is a very interesting story about a greedy trapper in that area before the French and Indian war that capsised his canoe while trasporting his gold bars
3 There cherry valley Massacre left alot of buried loot in the area that I have personally looked for
4 A friend of mine and I found the remains of the battle of Ft Plain I belive and was in a farmers field...MDing the area yielded musket balls but there was 1-2 feet of wet mud and due to my health I grew too tired to continue
5 Follingby's Pond area had been a mystery I have tried to persue for a long time

There are alot I know of and would love to find some local to go hunting with but I had to sell my detectors due to finacial hardship when I got sick but would love to share the knowledge and consdering I am disabled and can't work I have tons of time for research

Feel Free to IM me
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

or call me at (315) 839-6078

Bruce

M

mick1776

whats the story about the trapper? i dont think ive ever heard that one

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
"fort stanwix was moved about a half mile from its original location and the original location is now buried under th main highway inthe city of rome ny"

Sorry but this is wrong ! The site the replica fort is built on is the original site of Ft.Stanwix.

-D-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread