NY Treasure Legends

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Where are some lost treasures in New York?

Not too many people consider the state of New York or any other state in the New England area of the US to hold treasures, however, there are lost treasures here dating back to the early settlers, the Revolutionary War, and even money from train robberies was buried in New York. Here is a list of the most popular lost treasures still unfound.

In the Blenheim Mountains, it is believed that the Indians that raided white settlements hid all the valuables at the peak of the mountains.

A payroll chest that was intended for soldiers of the Revolutionary War was forced ashore in Chaumont Bay. The chest was buried by a large oak tree, since it could not be carried, for safekeeping until a later date. The chest has never found.

The Loomis gang during their raids buried $40,000 in silver and gold coin in the Montezuma Swamp close by the Seneca Falls.

After a train robbery in 1895, the loot in the amount of $40,000 was placed in a cast iron kettle and buried. It is buried around ½ miles from Geneva. Today this area would be east of the Big Oak Golf Course and Pre-Emption Road.

Many early settlers buried their treasures and valuables in case of Indian attacks. One such story is of an early resident that buried his fortune on Grand Island in Lake Erie.

Another resident back in the early 1800’s was Moses Follensby. He buried $400,000 in gold and silver coins close by his cabin. The cabin was at the north end of Follensby Pond just where the Branch enters into the lake. The cabin was supposed to be close to the beginning of the brook that led into the pond. The location of where the cabin once stood is a southwest of Tupper Lake. Outside Warsaw about two miles west, other early residents buried $45,000 in gold coins on the Rogers farm.

Lost Mines in New York have been reported as well although it is known there were silver mines at one time no one knows the locations. On the other hand, a gold mine is supposed to be located in the southern tier of the state of New York.
http://thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdomainnameatlonglast.com/treasures124.html

Killedseth

May 23, 2012
Okeechobee, fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The loomis gang and lost mines interest me.
My family and I will be moving to the Ithaca area in about a year and half.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am from Connecticut and I may be interesting in searching for some of these buried treasures.

mikebart88

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2013
elmira, ny
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a train robbery in 1895, the loot in the amount of $40,000 was placed in a cast iron kettle and buried. It is buried around ½ miles from Geneva. Today this area would be east of the Big Oak Golf Course and Pre-Emption Road.

ive been on pre emption road many times. that would be a fun one to look for

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post gotta do research lots of fun and I bet the gold would be buried in eye site of the Cabin!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread