jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Scranton tribune. (Scranton, Pa.), 20 Jan. 1896.

a.jpg

The Scranton tribune. (Scranton, Pa.) 1891-1910, January 20, 1896, Image 1 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the lead Jeff. great work as always.

This looked promising for all the obvious reasons. I did the research, and found the property.
I reviewed the census, and found that he was single, and died that way. There was a child that lived in the house from an extended family, who inherited the property. That reinforced my hopes that something was to be found, as if the living heir didn't know about the stash IN the house, she was not likely to know about what was OUTSIDE the house.

Reviewing maps from 1875 through '46 show the house still there until at least 1946. Satellite views show the house sat on the border of what is now woods and a field. Hopes are high.

But then I see it. Looking at current owner. the town. Why? Some more research: because it became a local dump. I visited today and spoke with some neighbors. They can't remember the house, but the dump was capped in '65. The house would have been on the edge, but upon inspection I can see where it was all excavated. Looks like 2 feet were taken off the top where the house would have stood.

I bet a bulldozer operator in the 50s found a couple of jars of Morgans.....or Double Eagles :censored:

I'm going back and sample it anyway this weekend, just to be sure.

I just wanted to give you the update, and save future lurkers the trouble.

Last edited:

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unfortunately no. The area had been covered as a dump, and a warehouse pushed their parking lot to the edge. Nothing left to detect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread