Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have also heard of stories of a certain russian communist who spent some time hiding in western ny. have a good idea on the area too

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Since the treasure is cash,paper currency,it is most likely counterfeitThe Nazis would of more than likely have their spy's passing bad money las well as being involved in sabotage activities.

Killedseth

May 23, 2012
Okeechobee, fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
James I don’t know if that would be true or not. From what I read that nazi spy’s that landed here were dropped by u boat with nothing and wearing nazi uniforms so if caught they would be prisoners of war not spy’s. Then where would they get the counterfeit bills from?
I’m not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. But you do bring up an interesting idea. Still it’s more about the chase for me. My three sons are stoked to go treasure hunting this summer in liberty!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The main castle entrance is an Arch. Just sayin
Jeff Great Job on stirring up the masses!!

Chase7628

Mar 6, 2018
CICERO NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be interested in helping out and searching the area...I am from Syracuse NY but am down that way a lot! Let me know if you want some help!

Pacatskill

Greenie
Mar 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Folks, I sneak around treasurenet from time to time and I long forgot my log in so I made a new one cause this one interests me. I have some relations up in the catskill region and have spent time up there fishing and such. So i did some casual internet research and figured I would share. Who know if this was a publicity stunt or not. Otto Hillig had a castle in the Liberty Ny area. Info about him here Otto Hillig | Sullivan County Historical Society
Castle

Below I will go point by point with things I found of interest.

THE CLUES TO HILLIG'S TREASURE

The arch if the roots is by your boots.

She is as beautiful as her closest sister, who once left Skeetersburg.
Sullivan County NY placenames that have changed

Skeetersburg Located in the NW corner of the Town, per Child. Patricia Benton Parks notes that Skeetersburg Road was renamed in the 1970s to Golub Hill Road.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Golub+Hill+Rd,+Livingston+Manor,+NY+12758/@41.8456821,-74.7984186,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x89dc980994d072b9:0x35a4529945f81b00!8m2!3d41.847888!4d-74.79417

William Ayers mourned Liberty's first death.

History of LIBERTY Sullivan County New York

In 1797, a child of William Ayers, who had become a resident, was so badly scalded that it soon died a painful death. This was the first death in the neighborhood, and it became necessary for the community to select a burial-place. A spot was accordingly chosen near Nathan Stanton's, on the Blue mountain, and there in the virgin soil, among relics of the wilderness, themselves fit emblems of mortality, the body of the dead was laid at rest, while its spirit, undefiled by wilful sin, ascended to the bosom of the Friend and Saviour of little children. Its grave was not long the only one in this "God's acre."

The fish won't bite at the Western part but begin the hunt, its OK to start.

Could this be the Here?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ferndale,+NY/@41.7800909,-74.7470659,14.97z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x89dcba5ac9df7abf:0xb955a4625edc95cc!8m2!3d41.7733087!4d-74.7386296

'Foul wrinkled witch, what makes thou in my sight?'

No idea

Blue Mountain Cemetery looks over Otto's treasure.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-ab&sa=X&biw=1366&bih=631&q=revonah+liberty+ny&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=41811982,-74763460,0&tbm=lcl&ved=0ahUKEwjys-qjv9nZAhXP0VMKHSJnDeUQtgMIKQ&tbs=lrf:!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:1&rldoc=1#rldoc=1&rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:!1m3!1d8455.50888567921!2d-74.75840329626465!3d41.820421508530245!3m2!1i946!2i546!4f13.1

Blue Mountain Settlement Cemetery | Sullivan County Historical Society

Blue Mountain, also Blue Mountain Settlement Revonah Mountain Child identifies this as the initial settlement in the Town of Liberty.

Broadhead Points to.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Revonah+Lake/@41.8283505,-74.7724189,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89dcbd46108586a7:0xd005bcc660554a9c!8m2!3d41.8273209!4d-74.768086

Brodhead Pond; also Broad Head Pond Revonah Lake The Broad Head Pond designation appears on the map enclosed in Child's Gazetteer (1872). "Brodhead" or "Broadhead" is a family name applied to the pond in question. There's no historic basis for the "Broad Head" (two separate words) designation. The "Revonah" designation was in place by the time of the Liberty Centennial (1907) as shown by use of the term in the Centennial booklet. William Cogswell tells us that the pond was owned by one A.J.D. Wedemeyer, a wealthy German who lived in the United States. In the 1880s he re-named Brodhead Pond to Revonah Lake, in honor of his birthplace, Hanover, Germany. (See also the notes on Wedemeyer Place below).

Dr. Blake Wales knew it as two log houses.

History of LIBERTY Sullivan County New York

In 1799, Doctor Blake Wales came from Windham, Connecticut, and commenced the practice of medicine in Neversink, and spent the remainder of his life in that town and Liberty. He visited the Blue mountain settlement during the first year of his residence. He recollected distinctly in his old age that the village of Liberty in 1799 had but two buildings, and they were made of logs. One of these stood where the dwelling of Timothy F. Bush now stands, and was occupied by John Russell; the other near the site of the Midland Hotel, and was owned by Jason Fish. Among the principal men of the town of that day was, according to Doctor Wales, a man named Champlin (the grandfather of Elias Champlin) who lived on the Amos Shaw place, and was quite intelligent, but very convivial in his habits. He afterwards died while sitting in a chair at the tavern of Luther Buckley. The Doctor's reminiscences of old times generally corresponded with what we have written, with the addition that every building in Liberty township, when he first visited it, was of logs, and generally with but one room.

Lucky me, I'm in the Queen's back yard. If you can't find me, you haven't looked hard.

Could this reference a queen anne style house?

The Lennon Building holds a clue.

https://www.amazon.com/Lennon-House-Liberty-York-Postcard/dp/B01C9WGQHW

Google

Grady's horse kicked the spot.

No idea

The coin is in the open.

Seems clear

Liberty Public Service was there in my time.

???

From the inside of Manion's Store the Mongaup will roar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manion%27s_General_Store

note the mongaup creek/stream is near this on map

Mr. Manion's home plate.

No idea other than above

Ugly Acer rubrum on the rade, then 30 paces and you will have in made. Turn to the right if going at, turn to the left if walking back.

Acer Rubrum refers to a Red maple...according to search

The municipal corner is basically nutty.

is this a nut tree reference?

What once was Hortonville, now is not.

Sullivan County NY placenames that have changed

Liberty Falls Ferndale Changed circa 1900 at the behest of the O&W Railroad due to confusion in mail addresses.
Hortonville Liberty Falls, then Ferndale (see above) Hortonville was an early name for Liberty Falls, in honor of an early settler named Horton, according to Child

You are very close at number one, the plague is a spot which you should plot, go in and eat, and count the feet, from there to here, let's have a beer.

???

The lens of my camera has revealed the spot.

???

Now in its place is a restaurant which has food that is fine. Descramble the words on the bar and you will be one step closer to being the star.

???

As you pass by behold and see in a restaurant across from the old 'Big G.' My works live on and hold a clue to find the coin now known to you. Enjoy the food and have a ball, examine all the pictures on the wall.

https://www.golfadvisor.com/courses/1110-grossinger-country-club-big-g-course/

O Tsuga Canadensis, protect me!

This according to google is a Eastern Hemlock tree.

This is it, you have all the clues. If you do find me call the news. Fred will know what to do, he the treasure to give to you.

Ok thats all i got. I am guessing if it exists it must be somewhere between the old grossinger resort and manions in ferndale ny. But that is a large area....can someone boil it down more. I have driving through liberty and ferndale and by the Big G countless times... if nothing else this is a nice trip down memory lane.

Ross

Pacatskill

Greenie
Mar 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure seems that way. The building his photo studio was in is still standing in liberty Ny. You can see it on google maps. Got his name on it too

Neat building A print shop is in it today

I keep searching out some of these clues but havent made any good connections yet. There is a small park across from his studio and what may have been or is a public works building hmm

Ross

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread