The legend of the Catskills hidden Nazi treasure:

Pacatskill

Greenie
Mar 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://rsftripreporter.net/BMW_335i/6-11-14_Sullivan_Co/IMG_0757a.jpg

Ok I found the above report of a gentlemans field trip around sullivan county. Towards the end of it he references the Lennon hotel with O and W rail stop across from it. The 2014 picture seemed familiar. So i poked around google maps of Liberty and I think this is it

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Allmed,+Inc./@41.7955314,-74.7480821,144a,35y,7.36h,45t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x89dca2d259c8cbd9:0x468079f82cbf0c9c!2sLiberty,+NY!3b1!8m2!3d41.8227992!4d-74.7571147!3m4!1s0x89dcbce49b36d5cb:0xa35f44aac0948741!8m2!3d41.7969614!4d-74.7473489

You can see it a bit from the street view of the nearby street. Not sure how that fits but its another part

R

Pacatskill

Greenie
Mar 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I have been unable to find online the locations of the original wooden structures in liberty. Wondering if anyone else has solved that.

Kinda curious where they were in relation to Manions store and Ottos Hilligs studio

Last edited:

Pacatskill

Greenie
Mar 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not believe the story.

Very possible its not a true story.

But if nothing else I am learning some interesting history about an area I am familiar with....Learned several things from this little search and that is a ok by me!

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pacatskill

Greenie
Mar 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Killedseth

May 23, 2012
Okeechobee, fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very possible its not a true story.

But if nothing else I am learning some interesting history about an area I am familiar with....Learned several things from this little search and that is a ok by me!

I’ve been in contact with the Cornell professor she said it’s very possible, that Nazi spy’s were in New York and that idea they were trying to blow up the bridge is also very possible. She also said that when Nazis were caught it was kept very hush hush. So the idea that these two guys killed some and it was kept quiet is also very possible.

Pacatskill

Greenie
Mar 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hillig died September 12, 1954, having sold his business in 1947. He left an estate of $100,000 divided between eleven churches, six Masonic lodges, eighteen relatives and twenty-five friends. Later, the castle was largely destroyed by vandals, but there still remain as memorials, a beautiful stained glass window in the Lutheran Church in Liberty and a large boulder located on the Liberty Golf Course with a plaque which recalls the start of his trans-Atlantic flight.

Above is an excerpt from sullivan county history and speaks of a plague...hmmm

You are very close at number one, the plague is a spot which you should plot, go in and eat, and count the feet, from there to here, let's have a beer

I am not familiar with the Big G course but is there a clubhouse with a bar? Could this be the reference of the plague above?

Ross

Killedseth

May 23, 2012
Okeechobee, fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hillig died September 12, 1954, having sold his business in 1947. He left an estate of $100,000 divided between eleven churches, six Masonic lodges, eighteen relatives and twenty-five friends. Later, the castle was largely destroyed by vandals, but there still remain as memorials, a beautiful stained glass window in the Lutheran Church in Liberty and a large boulder located on the Liberty Golf Course with a plaque which recalls the start of his trans-Atlantic flight.

Above is an excerpt from sullivan county history and speaks of a plague...hmmm

You are very close at number one, the plague is a spot which you should plot, go in and eat, and count the feet, from there to here, let's have a beer

I am not familiar with the Big G course but is there a clubhouse with a bar? Could this be the reference of the plague above?

Ross

The Masonic lodges was interesting. I have a co worker who’s grandfather was a mason and she gave me some insight into how they do things. Well kind of.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having been Born & raised upstate NY for 50 + years I've never heard any rumors of this 'Catskill Nazi gold'....But I've heard ( from some old timers) who speak of a German U boat spotted in the Hudson River(at Poughkeepsie) during WW2. (while FDR was alive) If true, my guess would be.A possible recon of President FDRs home in Hyde Park NY.(which is located just 1/2 mile East of the Hudson river ). And just a few miles N. of Poughkeepsie.

Last edited:

Killedseth

May 23, 2012
Okeechobee, fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having been Born & raised upstate NY for 50 + years I've never heard any rumors of this 'Catskill Nazi gold'....But I've heard ( from some old timers) who speak of a German U boat spotted in the Hudson River(at Poughkeepsie) during WW2. (while FDR was alive) If true, my guess would be.A possible recon of President FDRs home in Hyde Park NY.(which is located just 1/2 mile East of the Hudson river ). And just a few miles N. of Poughkeepsie.

The more I read the more realize it happened more then most ever knew

Pacatskill

Greenie
Mar 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting stuff, I know nothing about u boats in the hudson, but still very interesting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread