The legend of the Catskills hidden Nazi treasure:

Pacatskill

Greenie
Mar 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I had some time today and a bit of cabin fever. So I took a drive to Liberty area.

Neat to see the places in this thread. Liberty Public Service was there in my time.: This clue made me wonder the Court house is just up from Ottos studio and is the queen anne style. I didnt get a chance to explore behind it but its worth another look. Just streets behind it but who knows. There is a small park across the street and there is a large cemetery on the hill behind and to the right of the park so that could be considering overlooking the area. Manions store is for sale for $149,000 and is currently an antique store in case anyone is looking for a change of pace.

I wonder if Grossingers golf course is still open at all. There was a sign saying it was closed but wasnt clear if for the season or not. There were a lot of no trespass signs at the front gate. As noted lots of dilapidated buildings. I mainly drove around but I could see a walking tour of liberty would be helpful.

Ottos studio is distinctive with the Photo shop sign and hillig pillars.

All in all a nice escape

Chase7628

Mar 6, 2018
CICERO NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What i wonder is if there is anyone intrusted with the secret and the hiding spot that has verified its still obtainable...could it be that maybe the spot has since been covered up, paved, dug up to build something....and about the clues...are they still relevant...is the stuff still carved in the bar...is the bar still there...kind of stuff, a lot has changed since this was set in motion and the landscape I am sure has changed also.

Pacatskill

Greenie
Mar 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What i wonder is if there is anyone intrusted with the secret and the hiding spot that has verified its still obtainable...could it be that maybe the spot has since been covered up, paved, dug up to build something....and about the clues...are they still relevant...is the stuff still carved in the bar...is the bar still there...kind of stuff, a lot has changed since this was set in motion and the landscape I am sure has changed also.

All valid points. Heck lets face it. you wait 50 years and trust someone to dig up the money and place a coin there etc etc. What would stop said person from having a friend magically dig up the coin. While this interests me I am under no illusion that its real ....but its the thrill of the chase I guess and the general intrigue of it and that I have some familiarity with the area. All that has my interest in it. I will say a lot of the clues seems to be in place....but the bar...who knows

Ross

mhess22

Apr 24, 2007
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
White's Spectra V3i
White's Bullseye TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I have lived in Sullivan County NY my entire life and remember hearing this story as a child. I believe that the witch reference in the clue has something to do with Walnut Mountain in Liberty. There is a rock at the top of the mountain called witch rock because it supposedly looked like the chin of a witch. Also see call Fred at the news is referring to Fred Stabert the founder of the Sullivan County Democrat news paper. Old Fred passed away a few years ago but his son Fred Jr. Still owns the Democrat in Callicoon, NY. Hope this helps.

Vazquez77

Greenie
Feb 16, 2023
So far I have been unable to find online the locations of the original wooden structures in liberty. Wondering if anyone else has solved that.

Kinda curious where they were in relation to Manions store and Ottos Hilligs studio
Are you talking about the log structures of an old house

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread