jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning herald. (New York [N.Y.]), 09 Jan. 1840.

000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg
000ccc.jpg
000ddd.jpg
000eee.jpg

Continued Morning herald. (New York [N.Y.]) 1837-1840, January 09, 1840, Image 2 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging Pirate Treasure on Plumb Island for 25 Cents in 1840

Going by Google... Pine Point Maybe ?

Or Wrong plumb Island. ?
From the description it's just east of Coney Island,
actual location.jpg
which if I'm not mistaken would put it Closer to N.J. than Connecticut
:dontknow:

Since I hear they Do Animal Research near Pine Point, on the "plumb island",near Connecticut,
inventing new Animals & Diseases from Them, I don't know if the Entire Island
or Just parts are off Limits.
Odds Are the right spot is Shut Down, But Research would be needed to be sure.

ooommmno.jpg

if ya go, Watch out for the Rabid Werewolves :thumbsup:

dog-mouth.jpg

Burlington free press. (Burlington, Vt.), 07 Feb. 1840.

000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg
000ccc.jpg
000ddd.jpg
000eee.jpg
000fff.jpg
000ggg.jpg
000hhh.jpg
000iii.jpg
000jjj.jpg
000kkk.jpg
000lll.jpg
000mmm.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...ext=&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

Last edited:

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh Plumb Island, home of many unusual animal diseases like foot and mouth, Rocky Mountain spotted fever and purportedly the point of origin for Lyme Disease (first case Lyme County a few miles away) ! AKA Plum Island off the tip of Long Island. The place was thought to be a wonderful spot to Build a secret lab, Lab 257 . Lab 257 was a 1950s Biological Weapons research Lab. Unfortunately being along the flyway for Canadian Geese and many waterfowl as well as the perfect spot to get hammered by hurricanes it is reported that Lyme disease first escaped into the environment and has been wreaking havoc up and down the East coast ever since. Lab 257 is a great book for those interested in some real life scary stuff. What I find interesting is that Lyme is not particularly debilitating to most animals but is devastating to humans if not immediately treated with heavy antibiotics like Doxycycline . Us detectorists should definitely wear our bug spray (deep woods off) and some friends of mine wash their clothes in Pyrethrum based insect repellant available for that purpose. It is good for three washes after and will keep you from getting ticks which spread Lyme disease among other diseases. It is the tiny deer tick that carries the disease and if you find the tick in the first 24 hrs and remove it you should be ok. Lymes is pretty much everywhere on the East Coast and many people I know have been affected. So don't detect on Plum Island or you could get quarantined or just melt in a pile of ooze if the spooks don't grab you first.

American

Aug 7, 2012
long Island, New York
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, whites Beach hunter id,
Coney island is in Nassau county next to Manhattan Island. Plumb Island is at the far east end of long island off Montauk point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread