Treasure @ Deerlick Rock NY

Chase7628

Mar 6, 2018
CICERO NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have any luck here or ever check this site out...looking to head up there soon as the snow melts!

The town of Glenfield sits on the western edge of the Adirondack Forest in Lewis County, New York. This area of north-central New York is home to what I call the “Deerlick Rock Cache,” a buried treasure that, if found, could make you a very wealthy person.

This treasure tale goes all the way back to the days of the French and Indian Wars in the mid-1700s when the American Colonials (that’s us) and their British masters fought a protracted series of struggles against the French and their Indian allies. The “Deerlick Rock Cache” involves a large unit of French soldiers that was retreating down the Black River Valley and trying to shake off pursuing British soldiers and their blood-thirsty Iroquois auxiliaries.

Buried Payroll and Defeat

The fleeing French column was slowed down considerably by a number of supply wagons as well as at least one payroll wagon. Near a large rock outcropping (now known as Deerlick Rock) the French hurriedly buried their payroll as well as other valuables before they “skeedaddled” back toward Canada and relative safety, intending to recover the cache after they had soundly defeated the British and won the war.

(French gold coins like these may compose at least part of the “Deerlick Rock Cache.”)
As it happened, the French were able to defeat the British and Colonial troops arrayed against them on a number of occasions. Still, despite winning a number of battles and skirmishes, they lost the war itself and, in so doing, their buried payroll treasure. You see, they were never able to return to recover it.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Around 1900 15 or 20 old French weapons were found within a short distance of Deerlick Rock and the old french road. The guns were found near a log and close to the old Castorland road,also called the old North -South Road.
Gary

OP
OP
C

Chase7628

Mar 6, 2018
CICERO NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not terribly large...there is a group of 5 of us...and we should all have detectors...should be able to cover the whole area...although it looks like it could be a little marshy or end up being very wet depending on the time of year or rain fall.

Upstate Rich

May 24, 2013
Upstate
Detector(s) used
Minelab products,Ex2,Ex Se pro,Coil-Tek coils,Sunray Coils,white's Eagle Spectrum,Bounty Hunter,Bucket and shovel
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anyone have any luck here or ever check this site out...looking to head up there soon as the snow melts!

The town of Glenfield sits on the western edge of the Adirondack Forest in Lewis County, New York. This area of north-central New York is home to what I call the “Deerlick Rock Cache,” a buried treasure that, if found, could make you a very wealthy person.

This treasure tale goes all the way back to the days of the French and Indian Wars in the mid-1700s when the American Colonials (that’s us) and their British masters fought a protracted series of struggles against the French and their Indian allies. The “Deerlick Rock Cache” involves a large unit of French soldiers that was retreating down the Black River Valley and trying to shake off pursuing British soldiers and their blood-thirsty Iroquois auxiliaries.

Buried Payroll and Defeat

The fleeing French column was slowed down considerably by a number of supply wagons as well as at least one payroll wagon. Near a large rock outcropping (now known as Deerlick Rock) the French hurriedly buried their payroll as well as other valuables before they “skeedaddled” back toward Canada and relative safety, intending to recover the cache after they had soundly defeated the British and won the war.

(French gold coins like these may compose at least part of the “Deerlick Rock Cache.”)
As it happened, the French were able to defeat the British and Colonial troops arrayed against them on a number of occasions. Still, despite winning a number of battles and skirmishes, they lost the war itself and, in so doing, their buried payroll treasure. You see, they were never able to return to recover it.

Ill chime in here,since ive been researching that for over 20yrs went once...had a good time also!
Search along the LOWER RIGHT OF THE ROCK!!!!!,going near the small "Y" on the creek on the same side,....youll know what I mean... if you can try to look for symbols on the LOWER LEFT AND RIGHT of the Rock near the bottom,...
when u see it! be-careful and wear muck boots if the fields are underwater,i got my shoes stuck there once and are prob still there....,Stick to places right off the old road!!,.the place is LOADED with relics coins etc,,don't use any discrm!!,they had a day to dispose of the small cannon and payroll/military chests,so put that into perspective with your search....
GOODLUCK!

PS- a lot of rifles have been found

Water911

Mar 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how long ago you visited ? The main stream has been dammed up by the federal govt. to restore the wetlands. The swamp is more of a pond now. The widow lady whom owns the property is very nice, but elderly and starting to lose it a little bit. One other point to make, is there are 3 large rocks along the river in Lewis County. I know relics have been found here, but not sure if anyone has checked the other 2 yet. Its rather easy for me to visit the site, as its in my backyard.

OP
OP
C

Chase7628

Mar 6, 2018
CICERO NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how long ago you visited ? The main stream has been dammed up by the federal govt. to restore the wetlands. The swamp is more of a pond now. The widow lady whom owns the property is very nice, but elderly and starting to lose it a little bit. One other point to make, is there are 3 large rocks along the river in Lewis County. I know relics have been found here, but not sure if anyone has checked the other 2 yet. Its rather easy for me to visit the site, as its in my backyard.

Hey Water911 thanks for the update...maybe you would be interested in joining us for the day if we head up...do you know about getting permission from the lady that owns the land? does she own it...I would def. want to lock this down before making the trip...or how I would contact her. Thanks again for the info!

Water911

Mar 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Water911 thanks for the update...maybe you would be interested in joining us for the day if we head up...do you know about getting permission from the lady that owns the land? does she own it...I would def. want to lock this down before making the trip...or how I would contact her. Thanks again for the info!

Yes, She owns it. She is kinda goofey. They have done GPR before there, didn't show anything. not sure how wide an area they did, but I know they did the swamp. The feds did a study also before back flooding it. I spent 12 years with NYS soil & water Conservation when they did the project. What's still accessible might be doable, but not sure on the rest.
I need to do some more research before I go back. Its long believed they sank the cannon with the gold in the barrel in the salt springs. That would be under 4' of water now.

Upstate Rich

May 24, 2013
Upstate
Detector(s) used
Minelab products,Ex2,Ex Se pro,Coil-Tek coils,Sunray Coils,white's Eagle Spectrum,Bounty Hunter,Bucket and shovel
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
crap srry guys,...I didn't know they did all that,must of been when we had the flooding and that from the hurricane,alot of Tspot along river/waterways are just gone "sam pettingals cache is a example" is just wiped out and rebuilt dredged by NYS,...obliterated...,..
The only trhing that confused me is the amount of muskets foun din that area,i mean a lot to be just left around or left when scutteled if a enemy is pursing you ,im srry flintlock or not id still take my rifle atleast I could bash someone with it ya know? with the if I was being chased by a swarm of combatants.. so what really happened there..
I also was looking inot the OTHER large rock outcropping to the west and north of deerlick...keep us informed!

Water911

Mar 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checked Deerlick and 4 others

I walked over to deerlick with the dry spell we had. Its still very inundated with the dams the feds put in for nesting areas of migratory birds. I did some recon of 3 other rock boulders within 5 miles of here. 1 is VERY off limits, but I know the owner, the other 2 showed no writing on the rock. I went to county historical and the "supposed" catch of arms found is very questionable of its origin or if it even happened. They have no record of it.

DoubleG

Nov 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe everyone is looking in the wrong location, deer lick rock is not exactly in Glenfield, that is known as Myhalis rock that everyone has been looking for years. Excuse my spelling of the name. But the actual Deer lick rock is a bit closer to Beaches Bridge NY . I’ve done a lot of research on this including talking to the family and knowing them many years they have even told me that everyone looking for this gold are looking in the wrong location.

enlisteddigger

Tenderfoot
Oct 14, 2018
jefferson county ny
Detector(s) used
Fisher/ detectorpro headhunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone I’ve lived in the area my whole life i have many detectors and a fisher aquanaut I would love the opportunity to assist in the quest in any way I could please contact me if interested

Switchback

Jul 18, 2023
Yes, She owns it. She is kinda goofey. They have done GPR before there, didn't show anything. not sure how wide an area they did, but I know they did the swamp. The feds did a study also before back flooding it. I spent 12 years with NYS soil & water Conservation when they did the project. What's still accessible might be doable, but not sure on the rest.
I need to do some more research before I go back. Its long believed they sank the cannon with the gold in the barrel in the salt springs. That would be under 4' of water now.
Does the elderly woman still live there? Does she still let people check out the area?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread