Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
News
Monday, July 31, 2006

Cathy Weaver: A lost silver mine in Randolph County?

While doing research for last week's North Carolina pirate trivia quiz, I ran across another bit of intrigue.

Legend has it there's a silver mine hidden in the hills of Randolph County. It's called the Clapham Silver Mine and, according to the book "Buried Treasures of the South" by W. C. Jameson, treasure hunters have been searching for the bounty ever since silver was first mined there in 1765.

A Pennsylvania native by the name of Thomas Clapham traveled to North Carolina in 1765 in search of his fortune. He had heard of rich deposits of gold and silver in the hills and mountains so, despite the threat of hostile Indians, he embarked on his treasure hunt, accompanied only by a slave.

After several weeks of searching for their fortune, Clapham and his slave ended up at a place called Horse Mountain, which is in what we now know as Randolph County. After several more weeks of searching the hills for the "mother lode," as well as water and food, Clapham found a spring that offered him and the slave a good spot for encampment.

Clapham followed the spring to its source and as he cleared brush from the flowing water near the water's origin, he noticed something sparkling in the crystal pool.

Silver nuggets -- a whole handful of them.

So at this site, Clapham and his slave made their camp, building a log cabin and preparing to stay for the winter. Clapham diligently searched for the source of the silver nuggets he had found in the stream. Finally, he found the source of his silver in a bare granite exposure about 40 feet up from the flowing spring. It turned out to be a thick, rich vein, and Clapham and his slave excavated a narrow shaft more than 20 feet into the rock.

As the story goes, the two made it through the winter without incident, keeping their discovery to themselves. In the spring, Clapham was visited by a large party of Indians, but with gifts of tobacco and blankets he was able to peacefully negotiate the encounter, and soon the Indians were on their way.

This close brush with danger, however, motivated Clapham to build a small smelter away from Indians and any wayward trappers so he could melt down his silver and fashion it into ingots. When he had enough silver ingots to load all of his pack animals, Clapham prepared to leave North Carolina and return to his native Pennsylvania a rich man.

In order to remove all traces of his mining expedition, Clapham then destroyed the smelter and covered the entrance to the mine with boulders. However, he did leave cryptic directions to his mine on a large granite boulder nearby.

While packed and ready to leave, Clapham discovered a small sack of silver nuggets he had neglected to melt down so he placed them in a copper cooking pot and buried them under a large poplar tree near the stream. He slashed the bark on the tree to mark the treasure's location and left.

On his way back to Pennsylvania, however, he met a settler named Peter Elliot who befriended Clapham and his slave. So Clapham told Elliot about his good fortune but was vague about the location of the mine and the buried silver. Though Elliot searched for the mine, it remained hidden.

Fast-forward to the 1840s when a descendant of Thomas Clapham discovered some personal effects of the secretive miner, including a journal that revealed the bounty he had excavated and the silver buried under that tree. Though this relative searched for the silver, his efforts were also in vain.

Sometime around 1968, the rock that bore Clapham's inscriptions was found by a man named Henderson Barrow. Barrow never found the mine, and other treasure hunters inspired by the legend also looked for the source of the silver.

In the 1970s, a young man showed up in Greensboro and exchanged silver nuggets for cash, saying he had found them in an old copper pot on the bank of a creek in Randolph County. He said the creek had eroded part of the bank, exposing the pot and its treasure. While the story fits perfectly with legend, we don't know this man's name.

Do you know anything about this lost silver mine? Horse Mountain is west of Asheboro.

The stream that Thomas Clapham described in his journal is thought to be Richland Creek, and that also runs just north of the North Carolina Zoo. Highway 42 runs near both Horse Mountain and Richland Creek.

The silver mine Clapham left behind is still in those hills, just waiting for us.

Alyoop2

Jan 8, 2015
Randolph County, NC
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"150 ft east then back nine feet toward A.M.I" - on property once owned by W.C. Hammond of Asheboro. Please note that Thomas Clapham's name is sometime also referred to as "Clapum" or "Clapam" - W.C. Hammond (now deceased) did come across the granite boulder with the above message on it but was unable to locate anything further during his lifetime. As stated elsewhere, this property is supposedly on the banks of "Richland Creek" - please note that in attempting to navigate or explore Richland Creek at any point from the mouth of Vestal's Creek, 95% of the land is privately owned, with no real navigable roads; just old pathways. Hope this is not too discouraging but wanted to get all the information I've had - this was passed down from our grandfather, C.H. Wood of Asheboro.

ARWCWHUNTER

Feb 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"150 ft east then back nine feet toward A.M.I" - on property once owned by W.C. Hammond of Asheboro. Please note that Thomas Clapham's name is sometime also referred to as "Clapum" or "Clapam" - W.C. Hammond (now deceased) did come across the granite boulder with the above message on it but was unable to locate anything further during his lifetime. As stated elsewhere, this property is supposedly on the banks of "Richland Creek" - please note that in attempting to navigate or explore Richland Creek at any point from the mouth of Vestal's Creek, 95% of the land is privately owned, with no real navigable roads; just old pathways. Hope this is not too discouraging but wanted to get all the information I've had - this was passed down from our grandfather, C.H. Wood of Asheboro.

I haven't seen this creek or been on it but I do know from much research. Creeks are public. As long as it is a recognized creek you are safe to be there with no permission needed. It would be respectful to get permission.

Any updates on this?

tgwldr72

May 23, 2019
nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a quick search revealed w.c.hammond was a treasurer for a "copper mining" company. there was a little ore found. a return of around $17.00 a carload of silver, some gold and copper. the mine may have been sold though as he was only part of the mining company with president, secretary, etc.

NashCarter

Jan 14, 2021
Randolph County, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to this thread and MD/relic hunting in general but came across this story and have been trying to research it myself as I live in Randolph County. I'm trying to locate exactly where W.C. Hammond's farm was as to find out who owns the land now. Let's get together and atleast find the boulder!! Anyone find any info on this??

Alyoop2

Jan 8, 2015
Randolph County, NC
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did some more digging and found an old newspaper article from 1910 here in my hometown that has the story as told by the "first" publication in Asheboro in 1951!! https://newspapers.digitalnc.org/lccn/sn91068009/1910-03-17/ed-1/seq-7/#words=Horse+mountain
Hey there - there were dozens of mines in Randolph County alone and it is likely there were more that weren’t reported. I’m sure by now you’ve come across info for Hoover Hill, Kindley, Winningham and etc but one source that was a great help were the NC Geological Surveys, going back to the 1880s. These are all online at Digital NC. Within Asheboro, there was Pritchard’s, another (the name of which escapes me) that was in the vicinity of the Asheboro low-income housing development at the far end of Pritchard, running alongside PennWood Branch - the wastewater treatment site is, I believe, directly over it. Another, the Hinshaw Mine was off of NB 220, near what was known as Hinshaw’s Air Field but the present day owners have eradicated every remaining grace except a shaft entrance which has been permanently enclosed and sealed. The owners do NOT wish to show anyone around. A major mine was located on 220 south, under what became GE/Black and Decker - the water tower is supposedly over an old shaft - the entire facility covers the site but there might be interesting finds in the two or three small streams that run along/through the property if you can get permission.

Alyoop2

Jan 8, 2015
Randolph County, NC
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there - there were dozens of mines in Randolph County alone and it is likely there were more that weren’t reported. I’m sure by now you’ve come across info for Hoover Hill, Kindley, Winningham and etc but one source that was a great help were the NC Geological Surveys, going back to the 1880s. These are all online at Digital NC. Within Asheboro, there was Pritchard’s, another (the name of which escapes me) that was in the vicinity of the Asheboro low-income housing development at the far end of Pritchard, running alongside PennWood Branch - the wastewater treatment site is, I believe, directly over it. Another, the Hinshaw Mine was off of NB 220, near what was known as Hinshaw’s Air Field but the present day owners have eradicated every remaining grace except a shaft entrance which has been permanently enclosed and sealed. The owners do NOT wish to show anyone around. A major mine was located on 220 south, under what became GE/Black and Decker - the water tower is supposedly over an old shaft - the entire facility covers the site but there might be interesting finds in the two or three small streams that run along/through the property if you can get permission.
The first publication in Randolph was The Southern Citizen in the early-mid 1800’s. There was also the Randolph Regulator, another 1800’s publication. The Southern Citizen is available online, I believe

fredd3039

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone is interested in actually trying to locate this, or any other treasure or mine, I would be willing dedicate my time and some financial resources. I am self employed and while I am not a wealthy man, I do have some funds set aside for personal pursuits. If anyone would like to make a serious attempt at locating and recovering a lost treasure here in NC let me know and we can discuss the matter further.

AlliGalaxy

Mar 7, 2022
If anyone is interested in actually trying to locate this, or any other treasure or mine, I would be willing dedicate my time and some financial resources. I am self employed and while I am not a wealthy man, I do have some funds set aside for personal pursuits. If anyone would like to make a serious attempt at locating and recovering a lost treasure here in NC let me know and we can discuss the matter further.
Hi! Me and my fiancé live in Mebane, and are beginner treasure hunters, but are hungry and ready to explore! Please message me! Thanks!

KellyD

Jan 15, 2023
I have been trying to piece together where this might be. Any chance it could be near the crystal mine on kidds mill rd which used to be sandy creek rd I think.

NashCarter

Jan 14, 2021
Randolph County, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been trying to piece together where this might be. Any chance it could be near the crystal mine on kidds mill rd which used to be sandy creek rd I think.
According to what I've found, Horse Mountain is right behind where Lowes Hardware is now. Inwood Rd. runs right beside/through Horse Mountain. Most of it is homes now so who knows where the mine actually lays.

January

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2024
Asheboro, NC
Hi all! I joined because I saw this post and wanted to give some info my Dad told me.

If it's the same silver mine my Dad talks about, it's off of Browers Chapel Rd. The creek does run into/out of Richland Creek (also known as Vestal creek that breaks off of it) (Also, I walked to the "creek" from my Grandmother's house last year and it's pretty much dried up .. only looks like a creek after a big rain)
Dad never found it b/c his Mom always warned him that it was a deep hole and he'd get hurt and they wouldn't be able to find him if he fell in. (I am a descendant of Nathaniel Brown, who was the original owner of a lot of this area, it's been broken up throughout the years)

From what I remember Dad saying, it was in the woods, kind of behind what is now LaDell Estates. (that's the general location he was told) (and yes, "Horse Mt." is the name of that area, and yes, it is in the direction of behind Lowes Hardware)
("LaDell" was named for Odell Cagel - one of my grandmother's cousins. After his passing, I'm not sure who owns the housing development now. My Dad may know how to get in touch with one of his kids or grandkids.)

Please feel free to reach out if anyone is still looking for it. I may be able to dig into the family book or ask my Dad some more questions.

I live off of Browers, about a mile or so from that area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions