CW Gold: Stanly County, North Carolina ???

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
A little background first....

My grandmother was born and raised on a very large farm in rural Stanly County, NC that had been continously operated by her family since the mid-1700's.

Shortly after WWII a man came to her house and spoke with her father to gain permission to search various areas of the farm for gold that he claimed was known to have been stashed there by the Confederates in 1864. She said that the man had a very large "contraption" on wheels that he pushed around the grounds of the farm (presumably some sort of early metal detector). The man searched the farm for several days in a row and left without even breaking ground or digging up anything. For the next several years, various individuals came by to secure permission to search the farm and finally my great-grandfather got tired of the stream of people wanting to hunt for the alledged gold.

The farm is still owned and operated by my cousins and no one has been asking to search the area since the late 1950's. Obviously, I am planning a trip up to NC very soon to check this out firsthand.

I would really love to know where this legend of gold came from in the first place. Does anyone have any information on a legend of confederate gold or valuables being stashed somewhere in Stanly County?

Thanks in advance,

Pcolaboy

coda

Jun 29, 2007
Fairbanks, AK
Detector(s) used
MXT
makes sense

pcolaboy,

The story makes sense to me. Im new to MDing but have followed a few tresure stories for a long time. It makes sense to me because as riches were taken and retaken during post battle operations it would have to be stashed somewhere until safe return "to the rear" could be affected. I am in Southern Pines and interested in doing some research on this. Could you give me more knowns so I have a place to start like unit, commander names, battle name, etc.

coda

helogunner

Greenie
Aug 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is this still an open issue?

Just checking to see if this was still an open issue. I live in stanly county and hear stories from time to time that are similar to this. If it is, I would be happy to do research with you and working the grounds for clues if it comes to that!
helogunner

A little background first....

My grandmother was born and raised on a very large farm in rural Stanly County, NC that had been continously operated by her family since the mid-1700's.

Shortly after WWII a man came to her house and spoke with her father to gain permission to search various areas of the farm for gold that he claimed was known to have been stashed there by the Confederates in 1864. She said that the man had a very large "contraption" on wheels that he pushed around the grounds of the farm (presumably some sort of early metal detector). The man searched the farm for several days in a row and left without even breaking ground or digging up anything. For the next several years, various individuals came by to secure permission to search the farm and finally my great-grandfather got tired of the stream of people wanting to hunt for the alledged gold.

The farm is still owned and operated by my cousins and no one has been asking to search the area since the late 1950's. Obviously, I am planning a trip up to NC very soon to check this out firsthand.

I would really love to know where this legend of gold came from in the first place. Does anyone have any information on a legend of confederate gold or valuables being stashed somewhere in Stanly County?

Thanks in advance,

Pcolaboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread