Old Mine Tunnels Under Webster, North Carolina?

flex

Greenie
Feb 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
I am researching Spanish era mining in the Appalachians, and stumbled across a reference that said that there are several tunnels in the ridge underlying the town of Webster, North Carolina, which bear evidence of having been excavated by metallic tools. The Indians informed early settlers that these tunnels had been made much earlier by white men. Other than the one source, cited below, I've found no other discussion of this.

Has anyone seen any additional information on this legend?

Source: Alley, Felix E. Random Thoughts and the Musings of a Mountaineer. Salisbury, North Carolina: Rowan Printing Company, 1941. p. 247

DigDug216

Feb 22, 2016
Statesville, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (May2015) and Equinox 800 (March2019)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting. I too read old books about the Carolina's. Maybe we can get together for a treasure hunt sometime?

OP
OP
F

flex

Greenie
Feb 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. I'm currently in Italy and probably won't have an opportunity for an on-the-ground hunt anytime soon. Happy, however, to exchange information on old mines in your part of the country. I haven't found anyone who can speak authoritatively about tunnels under Webster, but one person in Franklin recalls there being tunnels in the area when she was a girl.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It is interesting. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread