Lost bronze cannons

claydog65

Feb 16, 2008
Hello everyone, especially those in North Carolina. this is my first entry, 2nd night surfing treasure Net. I have a story to tell that I believe is as true as can be. I was a friend of an elderly man near my home. He owned two grist mills. I used to go sit on the porch and listen to him talk. He was a sailor and explorer from Scotland. He even used to treasure hunt in his youth in the Bahamas. He would never let me tape-record him so I respected that and just listened to his tales.
The best treasure tale he told was about three bronze cannons that were abandoned by General Cornwallis during the American Revolution. My friend told me there was a payload of gold that was to be used to pay British troops. As I was told, Lord Cornwallis stashed the payroll and cannons in a large ravine somewhere between Greensboro and Wilmington. Cornwallis planned to recover the payroll and cannon later as he was in a hurry and needed to continue his campaign. Cornwallis apparently never returned to Wilmington but instead headed north to be defeated by Washington in the final months of the war.
My North Carolina friends will know that is a very huge territory to try and cover. My friend told me that the gold was recovered in the late 1800's but not the cannons, as the ravine became swampy, the cannon were forgotten about. The man told me the cannon are still there, but now under water where a small lake was eventually formed. I begged my friend to tell me where the lake was. He said I could never get the cannons out as it was on private land and that the lake is full of moccasin snakes and still very swampy. He said the lake was closest to Wilmington.
My friend is now deceased as is his wife. The very last time he talked about it, he made the comment: " those cannons, being bronze and historically significant would be worth well over $300,000.00 My friend took the location with him to his grave. Seems to me, anyone living near Wilmington that has access to historical routes/maps could do a topographical overlay and look at current areas of water or swamp, maybe if narrowed down, with the permission of the possible land owner, one could hire a scuba diver to locate the cannons, then have a tow truck winch them out.
I hope someone finds this site, good luck! Maybe I will hear about it in the paper one day.
David in NC.

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
i would assume gold and cannon are still hidden. but thats my opinion. cornwalis and burgoyne both hid gold and brass cannon. im pretty sure i found burgoynes. cornwalis most likly hid his in same manner. kiddrock33

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't see any mention of cannons, but you never know.

The year 1781 was a bad one all around for Lt. General Charles Cornwallis, opening with frustration, a disastrous "victory" and closing with his surrender at Yorktown, ending the American Revolution.
When cold weather failed to arrive in the exceedingly warm fall of 1780 and the winter of 1780-1781, Cornwallis moved north from Charleston, South Carolina, where he had originally planned to winter into North Carolina. After the destruction for he British forces at Kings Mountain forced his retreat from Charlotte in late 1780, a chain of events began that led to his debacle at Yorktown.
Embodied in this chain of events is a storied treasure, its location known within a thousand or so yards by literally thousands of people.
At Grotts' Crossing on Abbotts Creek, near Lexington, Cornwallis determined that he must lighten his column if he was to get any of his men to the safety of British territory near the port city of Wilmington, where they could be picked up by the British fleet. The constant hit-and-run attacks of the Colonists had taken the toll of the spirit of the British soldiers.
Accordingly, all wagons were cleared of cargo and supplies not absolutely essential. The majority of the stuff was dumped at the road side, with the exception of the large quantity of gold and silver in their possession, believed to be a payroll for British soldiers farther north.
The banks of Abbots Creek at this point, a few hundred yards north of the present highway bridge on U.S. 64, are very steep. There the creek makes a sharp turn southward due to a large hill whose western face had been deeply undercut by the stream. Cornwallis ordered the gold and silver items placed in the undercut and the face of the hill blasted down over it to prevent its seizure by the Colonists.
As the heavy kegs and chests were being manhandled into place along the steep bank, over 30-foot vertical drop at spots, one cast broke free from its handlers and struck a soldier clinging to the bank face. He was knocked down in to the creek and killed, either by the fall or drowning. After all the treasure was placed under the bank, so the legend says, the body was placed with it and the overhang blown down with a powder charge.
As far as can be determined, the treasure is still there. British coins and rough gold and silver slugs have been found in the stream near this area. But no one has found the spot along the hill where Cornwallis buried his gold.

nelsongrigg

Sep 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
true my grandmother was a historian in asheboro library and found alot of old Indian sites wrote about 20 books on history of the Piedmont,,,,, well to make a long story she told me a story like that,,,, but just one packed with gold and in the uharrie area,,,, I do tend to believe her info due to her knowledge in randolph county ,,,, hope that helps

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
Last edited:

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I happen to be working in the Lumberton area since January, I started to check into some treasure tales of the Carolinas and came across this story, it does appear that someone found Cornwallis's gold in 1987, cool story and here is a link to the article, you have to scroll around and find the rest of the story on page E-4
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1876&dat=19870410&id=v7AeAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ms4EAAAAIBAJ&pg=1950,3809167&hl=en

Was poking around a while back near the bridge but didn't have an old map to see where the horse shoe shape of the water was, didn't find anything not even trash its a very clean area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread