Millport Stage Robbery

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
Back in the early 70s I have relatives in the Millport/summitville area. One night when we were playing cards with my wives aunt and uncle the subject of the history came up. They told me there used to be a stage coach line that ran threw the area. I was interested in these stories and asked if anything big ever happened around there like robberies, shot outs and treasure stories.

He told me that while the stage coach was running it was robbed, by guys on horseback like in the westerns. Man I was all ears now as I love this stuff. Now I can' remember if he told me the robbers were shot or caught anymore. Either way, before they were caught up to they hid the gold in the woods somewhere around Millport.

He also tol me that it was been searched for by a lot of the locals. He had searched the area looking for things that the robbers might have used to identify the location, such as a funny looking rock or bent tree. Anything out of the ordinary someone not familair with the area could come back to and find easily.

I never have investigated this any further as they moved to NM and all the land they owned was sold off. Figured I would bring this up and see if anyone else ever heard of this or hunted for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread