Treasure in Mahoning County

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
I posted this elsehere on TreasureNet (TRUE STORY):

Many years ago, around 1974, I had a girlfriend in Columbiana. Her stepfather was an interesting character. So was she... but, that's another story. Anyways, he showed me an article (old, tattered) that told of folks searching a local farm for money buried by its deceased owner.

I don't remember the date, but it was older (the pictures were definitely older considering the clothing, etc.). And, they showed somebody with a milk can full of cash. If I remember right, there were also jars of coin money. The article probably came from the Youngstown Vindicator.

Next, I actually got my mother to drive me to the property. The owner was intrigued and agreed to let me prospect with my Dad's Compass (do they even make them anymore?). Their advice was beware the buried barbwire. However, being a teenager, it pretty much ended there.

I'm pretty sure the farm was located in Mahoning County. So, if anyone is up to the research.

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
I believe the farm was near Canfield. On a road heading east of the main road from Columbiana to Canfield. This is one of the best, most substantiated (being in the Vindicator with pictures, etc.), lead I've ever come across. I can't believe I lost the information - kid or not!

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any chance you can get a copy most libraries have all the local papers on micro film! Then if youknow the persons name you can find the property in the courhouse in the title department. That will give you an address for the property. Good luck!

Curtis

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
I am sure that the Vindicator is on microfilm somewhere. Problem is that I have no idea of the article's date. It was pretty old when I saw it (circa 1973). So, it could have been printed in the sixties, fifties or before. Note that they (my girlfriend's folks), had scissored it out of the paper. I think I just dropped the ball. I was only fifteen or sixteen at the time, but it still stings. My father and I would go metal detecting, but we never followed up on that lead - though I visited the house and even got permission! One thing I remember (or, at least think I do), is that part of thehouse was made of logs.

H

Hardscrabble

I discovered the location of the farm in question. Planning to follow up on it, though I expect others have already done so. If anything comes of it, I'll post for posterity's sake.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread