jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Mahoning dispatch. (Canfield, Mahoning County, Ohio), 17 Dec. 1915.

21.jpg

The Mahoning dispatch. (Canfield, Mahoning County, Ohio) 1877-1968, December 17, 1915, Image 9 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Yard looks pretty well landscaped. Haven't found any articles about anyone ever finding more cash.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
remember though this was 1915 and till the 1970's detectors were heavy and not very good,
and even then,detectors were relatively ignored by 99% of the population.
add to that what % of people even remembered or knew the story of Mary Powell ?

It's a shame the yard is Landscaped, But it certainly doesn't mean there is not a Cache there somewhere.
though If I owned the Place, I'd have heard the History.
And the way My mind works, even If I was never into Treasure Hunting, that probably would have changed, knowing the story. So I would guess a detector has been swung there at some point since the 70's unless everyone who lived there was Very Wealthy, and cared more about grass looking pretty then anything else.
or had no sense of adventure at all

Last edited:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Well you're teaching me. I was trying to figure out dates for metal detectors and ran out of time. I know a little about these local news papers, so I will keep searching news articles. Bellefontaine is in Logan county and the newspapers are small town news back then. I use the term "landscaped" loosely. There is a nicely kept flower bed around the house. Doesn't appear to be a very big lot. I hope there is someone on here that is close to the area so they can check it out.
And thank you for posting this article. By snooping around I stumbled upon a site that led me to finding the original land grant of the farm I have. Crazy small world!
I'll post any news articles if I find them.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you're teaching me. I was trying to figure out dates for metal detectors and ran out of time. I know a little about these local news papers, so I will keep searching news articles. Bellefontaine is in Logan county and the newspapers are small town news back then. I use the term "landscaped" loosely. There is a nicely kept flower bed around the house. Doesn't appear to be a very big lot. I hope there is someone on here that is close to the area so they can check it out.
And thank you for posting this article. By snooping around I stumbled upon a site that led me to finding the original land grant of the farm I have. Crazy small world!
I'll post any news articles if I find them.

Fisher Research Labs say Since 1931.
I'm not sure when the 1st electronic detector was made , but i'm guessing they were very heavy & Clumsy
and detected anything underground as well as a Forked stick does

Last edited:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
OK I have the address, the current owners as of 2016 tax year, and their mailing address. There are two different addresses. I don't know if it is a rental, in the middle of sale, or what. So what do you suggest? A letter with the story and asking them if/what they know?

BTW I have not found any other articles concerning the property.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I have the address, the current owners as of 2016 tax year, and their mailing address. There are two different addresses. I don't know if it is a rental, in the middle of sale, or what. So what do you suggest? A letter with the story and asking them if/what they know?

BTW I have not found any other articles concerning the property.

if there are 2 addresses is one the property & the other the Mailing address for the Owner maybe ?
If there is someone living in the home, I personally would try to approach them, possibly while they are outside.
mowing grass, gardening, loafing. seeing the person asking can be less scary for some then blindly saying yes in a letter.

I still send letters when the owner is too far away to stalk till they are out the house.
and I don't like knocking at doors. (personal phobia, though I did it as a door to door salesman in the past,
I don't like strangers knocking at my door trying to sell me things) but I rarely get responses to letters.
even with an s.a.s.e. , phone number, or email address. if they don't see your face it's easier to
just pass it in the trash as maybe some type of scam to rob them. or just a pain in the butt,
over something that don't matter to them.

again, a face to face is always better. Especially if your Friendly & look trustworthy.

and even if the person living there is a renter or holding a Lease.
My opinion they have a right to give me permission.
more so then the owner. the person footing the bill gets my respect

Last edited:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been sitting here thinking about face to face. It is a good drive. That's why I suggested letter. Even considered handing over information to another treasure net member that is located closer to the property. I have been hoping someone would jump in this thread saying they lived near Bellefountain, Ohio.
And yes, one address for the property and one address for mailing the owners.

But, before I do anything, I have another connection to a newspaper that I should check out. It may take a few days.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't been able to contact my newspaper friend, yet. However, I was sharing the story with someone at church. She had heard of the story and others like it. So have I. Lot's of people used to (and still) hide assets. She is going to contact her old boss and pass on my contact info, so that I can get more info and advice. The church friend's advice was to write a very detailed letter with copies of the news articles and how I was able to track them down. She said I should proceed very cautiously and keep copies of all my communications for my record. So, I came home and was mulling things over, when a light bulb went off. Several years ago I had asked her about her occupation. She didn't tell me the name of the company, just a description of her job. She worked for a magazine that researched coins and wrote articles for said magazine. So, my light bulb asked, "What magazine is published in that little town?" Googled and I'll be dag gummed, it's a big one! So I'm not 100% sure that's where she worked, but I'm going to follow this lead for a while until I get more figured out. I just wanted to keep you posted.

BTW
One of the questions I have is if the address I have is the original property lot or if it had been divided and sold off over the years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Greenville journal. (Greenville, Ohio), 06 Jan. 1916.
abcdefg.jpg

The Democratic banner. (Mt. Vernon, Ohio), 17 Dec. 1915.
maryp.jpg

134 results containing “the phrase "mary powell"” 1850 to 1820 in Ohio News Articles. Not sure How many refer to the Above Mary Powell.

Search Results « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Last edited:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think the st Clarksville article is the same "Mary Powell" too far away. I found articles one county south with the same name different person. It was easy to deduce because the dates were after 1915. But still will investigate. The other two are. The one from Greenville is informative. Raises more questions. Thanks for the clues!

Amber1111

Mar 2, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Bellefontaine, if I can be of help. I am intrigued...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread