James Gold in Carter County?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Harold Robinson, used to tell that legend had it that the James brothers were on the run and passed through his family's property and had to bury their stolen goods on it somewhere. He said that when he was a kid, they would catch people sneaking onto the property to try and find it. He remembers once he saw some men walking down the creek (Wilson Creek) with shovels. Never saw anyone else though. We lived just east of where the old Red Everett store was.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;
"Red Everett's Grocery Store it was located on Hoxbar Route, which is now Sandy Creek Rd south of Ardmore. Still in Carter county of course. Sandy creek does continue east to the Marshall County line... The store had everything you could imagine...a gas pump, kerosene pump (inside the store) groceries of course, ice cream and candy, a feed room was on the east side of the store and where a few of kids would wait out of the cold weather for the Dickson school bus . On the west side of the store was another connecting building that held all the extra bottles of soda pop...Mr Everett had a big old white dog named Shep that slept on the front porch and had an egg for breakfast every morning with Mr Everett."

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was told of a cave by a "pipeline pilot" between Ardmore and Davis. He said that when the sun was just right he could see back in about 100 ft. I mentioned it to the resident old geezer and he knew where it was. He called it the "Jessie James cave." He said they would hike up there back in the 30's. It was on private land of a famous Oklahoma ranch which shall remain nameless. He told me where to park and sneek into the ranch. I did. The cave was near the top of a hill and you could tell there had been a cabin in front, or maybe a corral. The roof was about 12 feet high but had caved in as evident by the names and dates carved into the walls. Some dates were at floor level. A large back room had a near-round hole in the floor. It was more like a chute. Like a otter slide. The lower room was large and the floor was at a steep angle. It was flooded, and my two cell light didn't show the end of the chute. Deep! The cave was on above a deep ravine the ran into a small spring fed creek. There was a carving of an oxen where you turned up out of the creek bed. Had to be a marker. If you find it, my USMC issue folding grappeling hook is still on a shelf above the chute. I couldn't get it to release, so I cut the rope as high as my partner could reach by standing on my shoulders. (1966)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread