Frank James, sandstone arch and seven black walnut trees

Raccoon

Apr 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anybody have any information about this treasure story? There was a small house made of typical Oklahoma sandstone, an arch as a gate to the property, made from the same material, with a sort of stone "patio" next to the house. Either that "patio" or the house was said to be encircled by seven black walnut trees, one of which had a washtub full of coins buried right next to it. This was supposed to be not very far from Tulsa. I'm looking for versions of the story in books or magazines. The story I heard said it was a James Gang cache and that Frank was sighted in the area a few times.

Gooner

Dec 23, 2010
Pawhuska, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
white's xlt
my source was Carl and his source was from three interviews in the 1960's.
He said outside Sandsprings near homesite ruins, two of his sources saw 6 ft. deep sqare hole 10' across and 10' wide with imprint in cornerof hole and size D washtub with coin prints in bottom in clay. Said F. J. himself was the digger and by size of hole even he almost missed it.
Amongst grove of trees and undergrowth and several smaller younger trees. Carl said there was still a deep depression where had been dug. About 2 or 3 miles from my brother in law's house as crow flys, maybe .5 to.75 mls. from old "boys home" off end of Hwy 97.
-bill-
p.s. Carl said remains of wash tub still there, but that was over 20 yrs. ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread