Whiteshield Creek in Roger Mills County

JPS

Jul 1, 2005
For more than two hundred and fifty years preceding the Civil War, dozens of major and minor routes crisscrossed the Great Plains along which traders, trappers, soldiers, Indians, and settlers traveled. Many of those who found gold and silver in the Rocky Mountains often utilized these roads to make the long journeys to St. Louis or New Orleans where they would sell the ore or ingots. It has been estimated by researchers that untold millions of dollars in precious metal was carried across the prairies to the growing cities in the east and south. Some travelers, however, were unsuccessful in transporting their fortunes across the prairie. As a result of depredations by bandits and Indians, some of it was lost, some of it was stolen, and some of it was hidden in caches along the way.

One story of an incredible fortune in gold ingots involves a Mexican pack train transporting well over three million dollars' worth of bullion. After several years of mining and smelting their ore in the Colorado Rockies, the Mexicans needed twenty-six burros to carry all the gold ingots they had accumulated. Loading their other belongings into heavy ox carts, they undertook a long journey to New Orleans, where they intended to book passage to some location on Mexico's east coast.

Sometime in the late spring of 1849, the Mexicans arrived in Santa Fe, New Mexico, to purchase supplies. After spending nearly a week in that city preparing equipment and material for the long trek across the prairie, the slow-moving pack train, accompanied by nearly twenty men, headed eastward. After crossing the Texas Panhandle, the party was negotiating the hilly grasslands in what is now Roger Mills County, Oklahoma, when disaster struck.

As the long pack train crested a low hill on the prairie, one of the riders at the rear of the caravan yelled a warning-Indians were approaching from the north. Ill-prepared for such an attack, the Mexicans' first impulse was to flee. Unable to goad the oxen into a gallop, they simply abandoned the heavy carts and concentrated on herding the ingot-laden burros to some defensible location.

Descending the low hill, one of the leaders spotted a shallow ravine not far away with a stream of water running through it. At one point along its course, the stream meandered in a nearly circular oxbow route around a slightly elevated sandy neck. Believing such a location offered some element of safety, the Mexicans whipped the burros toward it.

Seconds after arriving at their chosen location, the Mexicans dismounted and faced the oncoming attack. While most of them fired their seldom-used flintlocks at the charging Indians, others tried to maintain control of the frightened horses and burros.

Mistakenly, the Mexicans believed the Indians were after the gold they carried, unaware that the Indians cared little or nothing for the precious metal except for making occasional ornaments. When night fell, the Indians, unwilling to fight in the dark, retreated a short distance away from the battleground and made camp. When they were certain they were not being watched, the Mexicans decided to bury the gold on the island, leave the mules to distract the Indians, and effect an escape, intending to return someday to retrieve the ingots. For the next hour, the only sound that could be heard in the night was the scraping of shovels. When all of the gold was underground, the burros were turned loose, and the Mexicans rode away toward the southeast.

Precisely at dawn, the Indians arrived where the Mexicans had camped and discovered that they had fled. Quickly picking up their trail, the mounted warriors set out in pursuit, eventually overtaking the party and killing every member. The fortune in gold ingots, estimated to be worth millions, lay buried on a sandy neck of land almost surrounded by a bend in a tiny stream on the Oklahoma prairie. It remained there for many years; its location completely unknown to anyone.

In 1890, an Indian attempted to pay for some goods at the Cheyenne-Arapaho Agency Trading Post on the Washita River with a curious-looking gold bar. The ingot, crudely smelted and at least ninety percent pure, was marked with a cross, a typical Spanish symbol often applied to gold and silver bars. The trading post's proprietor, instantly recognizing the gold for what it was, asked the Indian where he had obtained it.

The Indian, a Comanche, said he had dug it up on a small island in White Shield Creek. He explained that from time to time when he needed to make purchases, he went to the island and dug up one of the gold bars that the white men liked. He also stated there were hundreds more buried at the location, having been left there years earlier by some Mexicans who were massacred by a war party, which his grandfather had led. As the proprietor continued his questioning, the Indian grew suspicious, paid for his goods, and hastily departed. He was never seen again.

Accompanied by several friends, the trading post operator traveled to Carpenter Town, a tiny settlement about ten miles northeast of Elk City and close to White Shield Creek. On a nearby ridge, they found the remains of two or three ox carts and some rusted bridle bits and trace fittings. Just to the east was the creek, and, in plain view, what he described as a "gooseneck curve" in the stream almost completely surrounding a body of land, making it appear like an island. After excavating a few holes on the "island," the men were unable to find anything, quickly became discouraged, and returned to the agency.

Since that time, only one concentrated effort has been initiated to try and find the gold ingots buried in the ravine gorged by White Shield Creek. An interested and persistent researcher, after studying all the information he could find concerning the buried Mexican gold, confided in several close friends that he believed he could locate it.

Using topographic maps published by the United States Geological Survey, the researcher studied the area thoroughly. He even sketched in the location of what he believed would have been a logical route through the area used by the Mexicans more than one hundred years earlier. He discerned what he believed to be the low ridge where they first saw the attacking Indians. According to his map, White Shield Creek was located just a few hundred yards east of this low ridge. In fact, the topographic map even indicated a part of the creek that curved around a neck of land into a nearly complete circle.

In a letter he composed to his wife, the researcher told about arriving in the area, climbing the low ridge, and, from his vantage point, spotting the curve in the stream. Just beyond the stream, he wrote, was an old railroad bed oriented in a north-south direction, and just to the east of that was State Highway 34. After arriving on the neck of land located within the curve of the stream, he claimed in his letter that, at last, he had found the long-buried gold ingots and that they were less than a mile from the highway. He further related that he intended to travel immediately to Elk City, rent a truck, and return to the site to recover the gold.

At Elk City, the researcher purchased a stamp and mailed the letter, rented a commercial van with heavy duty suspension, and checked into a cheap motel for the night. On the following morning, he drove north along Highway 34 toward a point where he intended to park the van while he recovered the ingots. At precisely 9:45 A.M., he was killed in a head-on collision with a pickup truck pulling a four-horse trailer. Two days later, his wife received the letter. In spite of the directions contained in the letter, the widow never undertook to look for the treasure, a fortune in gold ingots that still lie buried today.

Does anyone have research on this one and want a hunting partner?

There should be records of the accident.

Apr 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi my name is Jason and I own about 56 acres on white shields Creek.

image.jpg image.jpg I believe that a good portion of our land is in the circled area in the book (Oklahoma treasures). So far all I have found is an arrowhead and old beer cans my metal detector is not a very good one. My neighbors south of me which we share a fence have had treasure hunters on their property and had no luck. As far as I know our property has never been checked according to the man we purchased it from. I would definitely be interested in a treasure hunt with a 50/50 split with an experienced Hunter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 616
Last edited:

Bdavis1956

Apr 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that a good portion of our land is in the circled area in the book (Oklahoma treasures). So far all I have found is an arrowhead and old beer cans my metal detector is not a very good one. My neighbors south of me which we share a fence have had treasure hunters on their property and had no luck. As far as I know our property has never been checked according to the man we purchased it from. I would definitely be interested in a treasure hunt with a 50/50 split with an experienced Hunter.

Jason, I've been researching the area and I believe I've located all the landmarks listed in the book you mentioned (low ridge, and, from his vantage point, spotting the curve in the stream. Just beyond the stream, he wrote, was an old railroad bed oriented in a north-south direction, and just to the east of that was State Highway 34). Where is your property located?

Bdavis1956

Apr 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason, you mentioned the your neighbors south of you "have had treasure hunters on their property and had no luck." Do you know which area(s) were searched without success?

Mar 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been looking into this myself and took an old timer who was very good with dowsing rods. Pretty sure I have it down to a half section. Trying to get land owner permission but can never catch him home.

OP
OP
J

JPS

Jul 1, 2005
Whiteshield Creek

I am interested in a group searching together. Having the landowner sign an agreement is the first thing along with the other hunters.
214-683-6886

Mar 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason ive been really studying maps of the area and I have some things I would like to visit with you about. When you have some time please please contact me.

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have a two box detector if y'all decide to get some folks together.

thewhip

Jul 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jason, My name is Andy and I would like to talk with you about a search with you. Please call 228-586-9548. Thank You, Andy.

M Mc

Nov 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
M Mc

I have some information that I acquired over 30 years ago which I think will be of great interest to you. concerning the location of the gold. and the inaccuracy of the map. also to let you know, old school deep search detectors like fisher m scope will not work the water table is to high and it is to mineralized. you cant get ground cancel with it. find someone with a modern deep search detector. let me have 5% if this information finds the gold. if this sounds interesting message me.

cashole

Mar 26, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Jason my name Is Craig I live in Sayre an also interested in this story I have two metal detectors a whites vx3 and a tecknetics t2 I'm fairly familiar with the whites and the t2 is on loan from a friend that your more then welcome to use i require nothing if anything was found my main goal is metal detecting an making friends an story's along the way i hunt with one other guy you might know his name is Robby M. From cheyenne together we have found some really neat things an have become friends in the process
If any off this sounds interesting too you shoot me an email or p.m me email address is [email protected]

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the end of that story I guess. Jason, y'all ever come up with anything down there?

Jimd

Jan 19, 2016
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab & Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also tried to send you another message. I'd like to visit with you! Jimd

Jimd

Jan 19, 2016
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab & Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JPS,

Have you had any feed back on this post? My Aunt & Uncle used to own the place that is referenced in your article. I've walke up and down White Shield Creek numerous time over the past 60 years. My cousin thought that he and another man were very close to finding the treasure. I'd love to hear from you.............Jim

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would be cool to hear if they came up with anything. Interesting tale. Why would you leave Santa Fe and pass through Roger Mills county to head to New Orleans? Marcy's California Road was active at that time, but seems like a long way out of the way. They had the old Spanish Trail along the North Fork of the Red River, but that's a little far south. But that was the main trail used from Santa Fe to New Orleans. I would think that they would just go straight south into Chihuahua and on down to Mexico City. I've heard lots of stories that involve mule loads of gold lost, usually 17, and tied to the Spanish or Jesse James. In different parts of the state, too. And I like to believe where there's smoke there's fire, so maybe it's out there somewhere.

OP
OP
J

JPS

Jul 1, 2005
I am still interested in going to the area and seeking out the land owners with a contract.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems every time some one finds a treasure they end up being killed by Indians or vehicles. Then the story goes on for decades and the lost gold coin turns into a ton of gold coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread