Chief Blackface

LatimerCo.

Feb 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Does anybody know about the folk about Chief Blackface near Wilburton in Latimer County?

As far as the James Gang, Frank James is my mother-in-laws great great great(not sure on how many greats) unlce. Her brother, named after frank james, looks identical to Frank. My mother in laws dad recently passed. I sure would like to filter through some of his stuff. Mother in law claims him to be a hoarder so there may be some interesting things to stumble upon.

oklhhyde

Greenie
Jul 16, 2012
Oklahoma city
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chief Blackface was a half Indian half black man, correct? He was involved with Belle Starr and the James gang?

foolsgoldtx

May 5, 2010
i have heard some stories about him, but nothing in particular comes to mind
if i recall correctly i did start looking into a legend about him, but had a hard time finding any info

may have to dig through my notes and see what i have on him, as i am not pursuing anything there

good luck

oklhhyde

Greenie
Jul 16, 2012
Oklahoma city
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard an interesting one about blackface hiding some loot close to the witchita mountains but again there are a ton of stories like these here. It is hard to know which are true and which are not. I think I will just stick to coin shooting for now until I can further research the tales I have heard and separate fact from myth.

OklaBuck

Greenie
Jan 28, 2007
McAlester, Okla
Detector(s) used
whites, Garrett.and Tesoro
​He was a mixed breed. But he was several decades before the James gang. He had his own group of renagades . The story I heard is the band ambushed a Mexican pack train along the red river. And they took several of cart loads of gold. Black face was supposed to have 2 camps one up around talequah the other close to wilburton in latimer county. After the raid they were ambushed buy another group of robbers and killed all of black faces gang. The robbers never found the gold and since black faces gang had been all killed there was no one to tell them where to look. Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread