Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of those peculiar natural mound formations in northwest Caddo County. Possibly was named as early as the 1860's, and lots of stories about how it came by that name. It was always a popular place for Sunday outings and picnics. One legend attached to the place is the story of a wagon train of 49'ers returning with $250,000 in gold. Supposedly they were attacked by Indians and buried the gold, but never managed to return and recover it. In his blog, Okietreasurehunter tells the hilarious story of the 'Gold Restorers of America' who came to Ghost Mound in the 30's in an attempt to recover the gold, with no luck. The California Road, which gold seekers travelled to the gold field, passes 4 miles north of Ghost Mound, so that might rule out the wagon train story. The Ft. Reno to Seger Colony stage road does pass close by, but I don't believe they transported much gold. I've camped at Ghost Mound before and never saw any spooks or found any treasure. As Okietreasurehunter points out, there are numerous markings on Ghost Mound, as pretty much everybody who came there couldn't resist putting their name in the easily carved sandrock. (I think mine is there still too) It would take forever to sort them all out to determine if any were treasure markings. However, a more likely candidate for a treasure story is Twin Mounds, located 4 miles north of Ghost Mound along the old California Road. We camped and fished there for many years, and there are some interesting markings there, particularly a large heart carved into a boulder at the base of the mound. It appears much older and more weathered than other carvings. I wanted to get a pic of that, but a few years ago the landowner got tired of college kids comin out and trashin the place up so he locked it up. Couldn't get ahold of the owner, so not much luck for me this trip to Oklahoma. Still just one of the many treasure legends associated with the old California Road.

Attachments

• 6-7m.jpg
    6-7m.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,366

Gooner

Dec 23, 2010
Pawhuska, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
white's xlt
Sad how one or two people can throw trash around and ruin it for everyone. I know places near my home that are locked for the same reason.

foolsgoldtx

May 5, 2010
as i was reminded last week..if you leave a sandcastle on the beach over night, some kids will come and kick it down...unfortunate that that happens to anything left alone for a while

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses. Glad y'all got the point about the trash. Wasn't the focus of the whole story. It was about treasure, but glad I included somethin y'all could relate to.

foolsgoldtx

May 5, 2010
its always about the treasure, and not the trash...just a little side note to it. sure has had an effect on us being able to get into and around places to look!
sounds like the land owner on this one may be ok with allowing an older, respectful person or two to come in and take a look

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread