Treasure and GOLD in Leflore County

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2
There are storys of two gold mines, one lost indian payoff treasure,two or three ledges of silver/lead veins within fifty miles of my house.They have all been publishedin the local paper in the past.I have some copys but I don"t know how to post them on here.Come visit me I"ll let you make copys!!! they are in reprints from the LEFLORE COUNTY SUN Thursday November 20 1924.Gold field on west side of Cavanal mountain.Acordding to H.P. Williams there are two areas 15 miles west of Poteau.A visitor from Australia said it was like the gold from there,a sample was in the window of the newspaper office.

Nov 29, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know where an old mine is on Cavanal Hill. I've gone into it about 20 or 30 feet. It's pretty run down and unstable. There is also evidence of an old town or village near it. I found old whiskey bottles and the bases of old settlements made out of rock. When I was there about 20 years ago, it was supposedly a hangout for devil worshippers. That had my cousin scared but not me. There was a lot of graffiti in the area.

Nov 29, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if it is still there or not. It was 20 yrs ago the last time I was at the mine. It backed up to my uncles land. He doesn't live there anymore. It's near a Senator or ex Senators house that lives on the hill. I built his house. I'll be there in July if you wanna go look for it.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know where an old mine is on Cavanal Hill. I've gone into it about 20 or 30 feet. It's pretty run down and unstable. There is also evidence of an old town or village near it. I found old whiskey bottles and the bases of old settlements made out of rock. When I was there about 20 years ago, it was supposedly a hangout for devil worshippers. That had my cousin scared but not me. There was a lot of graffiti in the area.

I know where an old coal mine is/was. I went down in there a good ways. It forked. The left path went down hill and was full of water. The number bats in there was unbelievable. I lived in that town in the mid to late 80's. Some friends and I had hiked up the mountain to half-way. On our way back down we took a little break somewhere just uphill from the water tower (still there?). We heard some drums banging in the distance (uphill) behind us. The sound was faint as if far away. We hauled butt because, we had all been told the same thing about the devil worshipers.

Last edited:

RRM

Dec 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know where an old coal mine is/was. I went down in there a good ways.

They pretty much covered up all the holes on Cavanal Due to an accidental suffocation with methane quite a few years back. I went a ways into one of the old coal mines when I first moved to the area 40 years ago. Before then on a trip passing thru Poteau we stopped to eat at Mr Swiss burgers and heard a story from a couple of locals about Spaniard mines on Cavanal and one deep one halfway up the north side where they had staged gold mined in Colorado and had blown up the entrance when attacked. The story went that a couple of locals had partnered to go in with heavy equipment to dig, one got injured and while in the hospital the other quickly excavated, found a row of mule remains along with saddle bags with gold, extracted then covered it back up, and sold the gold on the black market. Years later after I moved here, a coworker and I got into metal locating and heard that same story again from a relative of the guy who was in the hospital. He mentioned the guy's aluminum ladder was torn up in the process of reburying the mine. We set out to find it and sure enough, found a couple of large boulders lodged in an earthen area, found several pieces of torn up aluminum ladder, and detected a large signal which we dug and determined it to be a large metal plate maybe used to shore up the hillside during excavation. Searched all around for stray gold but no luck. Visited the site a couple times and talked of plans to uncover with common hand tools but never did. We also found two deep vertical mines near the top of the mountain on that side that took a long time for dropped rocks to hit bottom, and climbed into a nearby natural cave as far as we could before it got too small. You could feel air blowing out of the mouth of that cave. All those got covered up as part of the effort to prevent future methane accidents. Been probably 20 years since I've been back up there. By the way, Cavanal is mostly private land including the sites I mentioned so permission would be needed if anyone attempted to visit them.

Last edited:

rachel w

Nov 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have an account from my great great grandfather who was born in 1818 sata fe, and was part of mining expedition near Poteau. As a child he was 1 of only 2 survivors (children) who were adopted by Choctaws. I am looking for any leads to the location as I am writing about his life. There should have been the word LABOR over the top of mine. This is why he was given that surname. I don't know if it was carved or painted. The location with multiple mules sound probable as no one else was left alive and the natives rarely traded mules.

RRM

Dec 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an account from my great great grandfather who was born in 1818 sata fe, and was part of mining expedition near Poteau. As a child he was 1 of only 2 survivors (children) who were adopted by Choctaws. I am looking for any leads to the location as I am writing about his life. There should have been the word LABOR over the top of mine. This is why he was given that surname. I don't know if it was carved or painted. The location with multiple mules sound probable as no one else was left alive and the natives rarely traded mules.
Rachel - I’m just now seeing your reply, 3 years later.. :-) I hope it won’t be 3 more years before I hear from you.. I sent a PM to your treasurenet account. I would be very interested in reading your great great grandfather’s account and the story you’re writing about him. I could send you a google maps pin drop showing the exact mine location.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread