Civil War treasure found in the Winding Stair Mountains

Taliman

Mar 17, 2014
SE Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A person approached the publisher of the Poteau Daily News with evidence of a Civil War treasure he had found in the Winding Stair mountains. I have requested permission from the publisher of the newspaper to post a scanned copy of the article with pictures here in the Oklahoma forum. The Editor states that there will be additional news releases as information comes in. Stay tuned for the article, pictures and additional information.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Taliman

Mar 17, 2014
SE Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With the publishers permission I am uploading the article from the Poteau Daily News. The publisher informed me he was currently working on a follow up article to this story.
Civil War Treasure.gif

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's pretty cool! I bet if I swung my coil over that, it would still be in the ground.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the publishers permission I am uploading the article from the Poteau Daily News. The publisher informed me he was currently working on a follow up article to this story.
View attachment 1651880

WOW!
If those coins are Gold $20 pieces (they look big ) or even CW Seated Dollars that's BIG!!! $!!!!.
I'm assuming they are Dollars but Cents were Large back then ???

I wonder when the Box was found ?

OP
OP
T

Taliman

Mar 17, 2014
SE Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW!
If those coins are Gold $20 pieces (they look big ) or even CW Seated Dollars that's BIG!!! $!!!!.
I'm assuming they are Dollars but Cents were Large back then ???

I wonder when the Box was found ?

Not sure when the treasure was found but the next article or two coming out should shed some more light on the find. I know there will be a lot of caution used by the publisher and the person who found it since the Winding Stair Mountains are primarily located in USFS land, and that would lead to confiscation of the treasure if the identity of the lucky treasure hunter and the exact location were divulged. As soon as more info is available I will post it here.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the person that found that should shut his mouth unless he wants the government to take everything.

OP
OP
T

Taliman

Mar 17, 2014
SE Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have some good news and some bad news... the good news is that a second article by the publisher of the Poteau Daily News was printed today - Friday 16th 2018. The bad news is that the publisher's lawyer has advised against allowing any further copy and posting of articles related to this matter to this forum. The newspaper does have an Internet website but it does not appear to offer a link directly to the "Opinion section" of the newspaper where these articles are printed. If you are interested in following the story, I guess a person could contact the newspaper and purchase/request a copy of the paper with today's article. Sorry this story can not go any further here on the forum.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the person that found that should shut his mouth unless he wants the government to take everything.

True I 'NEVER ' would have went to a Newspaper with this info esp ,If it could have been found on Goberment Land.

Reading he came in with a envelope sounds good , my Lawyer would have been there to , but then again I never would be at the News-Paper in the first place .
It could have been found in the 1970's & all spent or cashed in by now , I could even own one of the coins if it's silver and the grade is /was low enough. YNK

I will look for new updates on this cool story.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some good news and some bad news... the good news is that a second article by the publisher of the Poteau Daily News was printed today - Friday 16th 2018. The bad news is that the publisher's lawyer has advised against allowing any further copy and posting of articles related to this matter to this forum. The newspaper does have an Internet website but it does not appear to offer a link directly to the "Opinion section" of the newspaper where these articles are printed. If you are interested in following the story, I guess a person could contact the newspaper and purchase/request a copy of the paper with today's article. Sorry this story can not go any further here on the forum.

That's cool if I ever hear about it I will & if I don't Oh well.
Thanks for trying .

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That hand gun does not look CW to me. Looks like a center fire revolver. Anyone else?

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That is cool, I would love to hear the full story of how he found it but I doubt that will happen. Don't understand why he went to the paper for either, especially if he found it on government land.

OP
OP
T

Taliman

Mar 17, 2014
SE Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Without getting into a lot of detail.. the follow-up article gave a hint of how the treasure was found. Evidently it was common practice by some outlaw gangs to strike an arrangement with a *not so straight laced* land owner to provide safe keeping of a gang's stolen loot. The land owner would keep an eye on things to be sure it wasn't stolen form the people that stole it to begin with... kind of like a banking system for thief's. There was one particular individual who was well known among the lawless in the territory that could provide such safe keeping for the loot stolen by the bandits and he was frequently used by more than one gang. Identifying and locating this person's homestead was how the treasure was eventually located.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
....Don't understand why he went to the paper for either,...

I've read the short article in post # 2 . And I understand that "no more articles will be forthcoming". But I see that the proof brought in to the newspaper man, was an envelope/folder, containing those pix of a treasure chest. Right ? Ok, has anyone seen the treasure ? Aside from a picture ?

I am reminded of pictures of treasure chests, in the old 1970s treasure magazine ads, where someone posing next to his TH'ing device, is showing all the treasure, or jars of coins, that he found. Ok, and it's hard to argue with that, eh ?

I'm not saying it's necessarily "not true". But just saying: If someone walks into a newspaper office with picture of goodies, .... there could be other explanations.

Example: I knew a guy who wrote an article for one of the treasure magazines, of how he'd found 50 (or whatever) gold rings from the bottom of a drained swim lake. And the pictures were, yes, quite amazing ! And the way the article sounded, was that they were all dug in a single few day's period of time.

It just so happened that I got to meet the guy personally. I quizzed him , at depth, about the cigar box full of gold rings. Turns out, they'd come from an entire year of hunting this lake. Ie.: one here, one there, type of thing. But the way it could *sound*, (ie.: artistic literary liberties of good story writing), it sounded different.

Anyhow, this isn't to say it didn't happen (hard to argue with a photo). But just sayin' that .... there's been photo's posted before, that ... in the end .... had other explanations.

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as credit is given to the writer/newspaper and there is no financial gain, I see no reason it cannot be reposted here or anywhere.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
...., I see no reason it cannot be reposted here or anywhere.

You would think so, eh ? But these "hush hush" and "we can't tell you" and "we were told to keep quiet" are all part & parcel to any of these. Ask yourself, how many such "treasures found" stories fizzle in this way ? I've seen many such stories like that. And when you go to "pin them down", there's always a reason why it won't happen.

Someone will start off with a fabulous story (maybe even pictures like this). And if you quiz them at length, it will be a "friend of a friend found this, but he wishes to remain anonymous". Or "our lawyers have told him/us to keep the rest secret". Or ... "It could be confiscated d/t it was found on public land, so we can't tell you more". etc.... And when you ask around for anyone not-involved (ie.: 3rd party un-biased) who's actually SEEN the treasure , it seems it nothing but pictures.

I use "found" (past tense) in quotation marks, because even THAT word gets used loosely in these type stories, at times. Ie.: someone claims to have "found" a treasure. But then you find out that they mean : They honed it down to a certain canyon or lake bottom. But rest assured, it's "found".

Etc... etc... etc... Has anyone noticed these trends ? I'm not saying "all of the above" conspiracy/hush-hush couldn't be legitimate. Perhaps they are! Perhaps this is entirely true. But on the other hand, to simply show a pix ... and then no one ever saw it, everyone is hush hushed/silenced after that.... etc.... You sometimes gotta wonder .

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Taliman

Mar 17, 2014
SE Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Aw... the "fake news" times of today throws suspicion on virtually everything we read and hear anymore, and rightfully so that we be suspect of much we are exposed to. I did not see the treasure so I can not confirm the validity of the matter. I also do not know if the owner of the paper saw any physical evidence before writing the article. Some people take things on faith that it is true and some do not. I would like to think that there was no deception involved in the story other than protecting the identity of the finders if it is true and I believe it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread