DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As a kid growing up in the 1960's I used to devour the Treasure and Old West Magazines my uncle had. He probably had a stack 3 feet tall: "True Treasure", "Western Treasures", "True West", and a few others. One particular story stood out for some reason after all these years (over 50!). Do any of you recall reading this story, or a similar one?:

A couple of (maybe 3) Oklahoma boys were exploring the rocky areas where they lived, in the 1930's or 40's, I think. They came across a hole, or vertical cave that was rumored to be a treasure site of outlaw loot. They rigged up a saddle tied to a couple of lariats, and one boy sat in the saddle while his partner lowered him into the cave. A short distance down, the boy in the cave saw an open, iron dutch oven, full of gold and silver coils hanging on a spike driven into the wall, and reached for it. Just as he touched the dutch oven, the walls appeared to move - the cave was full of rattlesnakes and his movements had disturbed them. The frightened boy screamed for his partner to pull him up, and in his panic, dislodged the pot, and it fell to the bottom. The boys were so shaken by their experience that they never went back.

I'm sure the story had a better description of the location, but it has been so long I don't remember all the details. I do remember the magazine story had a "lurid" full-color illustration (typical of the times), showing the dutch oven hanging from a spike, surrounded by rattlesnakes about to strike. with I can only recall it was "in the mountains", which means either the Ouachitas in the east, the Arbuckles in central Oklahoma, or the Wichitas in the southwest.

wildpig

Jul 25, 2015
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Max, AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't heard that story, but sounds interesting.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, sounds like every other story made up to print something in the treasure/western mags of the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread