"Stone Boot/Cave" James Treasure...Where is the Stone Boot Site located????

Stmoritz

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2008
Fort Gibson Oklahoma
Re: "Stone Boot/Cave" James Treasure...Where is the Stone Boot Site located????

Good evening Gentleman,

I had to go back and look at some of the old maps of Tillman Co. to make sure of my bearings for Otter Creek, and the mountains, west of Snyder, Oklahoma.

Here is a link to a map I found, it turns out the mountains that bordered our family lands was called Long Mountain, and the gun fight I spoke of, took place on the NW corner of this mountain near the old sand pits, which border the north fork of the Red.

From the east edge of the Long Mountain, you could go one and one half mile south to the county road, turn east, go one half mile back east to Otter Creek, and that is the place we found all the indian wash out items, I had heard it was one of the old Camp Radiminski camps, but I think you guys research state they are all north of 62 highway. The family that owned the Otter Creek land was named Poteet on the north side of the county road, and the gentleman on the south was Esley.

Here is the link I found :http://www.okgenweb.org/~itgenweb/itprojects/census/comanche-plus.jpg

Adios.

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
garrett, minelab, tesoro, whites

shepherd said:
Good morning everyone, in previous posts okietreasurehunter mentioned that cutthroat gap was on both private and federal land. Can anybody verify this claim? Where can one get accurate maps of where federal land and private land start. what happens if you found something of value on federal land?

A good topographical map will show the boundaries of federal land. It won't tell you who owns the private land that butts up to it but you can get that info at the county courthouse.

Finding anything on the wildlife refuge will get you arrested and anything you have confiscated. Using a detector is a minimum $250 fine and they can confiscate the detector and anything else they consider treasure hunting equipment.

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used

They consider removing anything from the refuge illegal, including rocks and they will write you a ticket.

shepherd

Greenie
Apr 3, 2010

Stmoritz, thanks for the post. I enjoyed reading the information you posted about the area.

Does anyone know if there are any guided walks or "behind the scenes" type walks to areas on the refuge in the wichitas that one might be able to go on. I know there are plenty of areas that are off limits for some reason to the general public. Maybe a safety issue or something. I would like to venture of the usual areas without getting into trouble. I have had trouble getting in contact with owners of some of the private lands adjacent to the refuge.

Also Alec did you say you could get a ticket just for having a detector on federal land, even if you are not using it?.
Just curious

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used

Shepherd,

You probably wouldn't get a ticket for just having it in your car however, if law enforcement saw it in your car you can bet they will stop you and ask what you are doing. If you don't give the correct answers it could definitely get you a ticket and at the least a request to search your vehicle and belongings.

The refuge is just over 59,000 acres. 20,000 of those (give or take a few) are open to the public and you can hike anywhere on those 20,000 acres providing you can find a place to park. Parking is only allowed on paved areas. The other 40,000 acres are set aside just for the animals and you generally can't get into those.

Within the 20,000 acres that are open to the public there is plenty to see. Lots of old Spanish markers, mines from the 1800's and the occasional outlaw clue.

There aren't any "guided" walks given on the refuge, at least not by refuge employees except for one hike that is done on Saturdays (I think) and it is handled by the Friends of the Wichitas and run by volunteers out of the Visitor's Center. It's a 3-4 hour hike I beleive and they usually make the regular stops that you would find in the hiking books about the refuge and they occasionally get off the beaten path.

If you are an experienced hiker you can go without too much worry except for the heat and the rattle snakes. They get people lost out there all of the time but it's generally stupid people that aren't paying attention to where they are or what direction north is. You can pretty much see a road or landmark from any highpoint on the refuge.

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

If y'all get a hiking expedition in mind, I'd like to participate if I could! I've been wanting to go the Wichitas for quite some time but never have anybody to go with! I've been pretty tied up with some stuff in my neck of the woods but would particularly like to see some Spanish markers, etc. outside my scope of operations-it's all about the learning!

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

103 degrees is pretty hot for that neck of the woods!

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used

103 ain't nothing, it's been over 100 everyday since June 1st there and I think they hit the 110/112 mark just the other day.

It cools off nicely there during the fall and the bugs and snakes go away too.

shepherd

Greenie
Apr 3, 2010

It has cooled off now quite a bit. Anybody been out to the wichita mountain area in a while. I was wondering if any of it burned this summer with all the fires that occurred thru the state. Looks like it might be time to get out and about.

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used

I just came back from spending a week there. If it's not brown from the lack of water it's black from fire. Almost all of the special use area has burned along with probably half of the 20,000 acres opened to the public. They got about three inches of rain there this past Saturday so that should help some. With everything burned the hiking is really pretty nice. You can see a lot more than you used to unless of course you are going to see green.

Attachments

• 10-04-11.jpg
    10-04-11.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 1,004

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

alec said:
I just came back from spending a week there. If it's not brown from the lack of water it's black from fire. Almost all of the special use area has burned along with probably half of the 20,000 acres opened to the public. They got about three inches of rain there this past Saturday so that should help some. With everything burned the hiking is really pretty nice. You can see a lot more than you used to unless of course you are going to see green.

You can have the "Green"....I'll settle for the Yellow and Silver ....LOL :thumbsup:

shepherd

Greenie
Apr 3, 2010

As far as the gold and silver goes. I'd rather have it as well. Anybody having any better luck hunting with the burnoff and die off of plants? For me it seems to be easier to walk around. The boulders and rock of course are still there but the grass isn't hiding the ground as much. Nice picture of the buffalo. I hope that was a zoom lens. You don't wanna tangle with that booger.

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used

Definitely a zoom lens although I have been a little closer before.

Attachments

• LAN_7236-2.jpg
    LAN_7236-2.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 781

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used

And yes, the things normally hidden in the grass are easier to find now.

Attachments

• i00271.jpg
    i00271.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 853

shepherd

Greenie
Apr 3, 2010

Haven't posted in a while. Looks like someone definitely put the hole in that rock. Any info on that marker you would be willing to share? Gotta love the history behind things like that. Thanks.

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used

What kind of info are you wanting? I am assuming this is either Spanish or Mexican, there are some other markers in the area that go with it, the drill hole itself is about 3 inches across and around 4 inches deep and the rock the drill hole is in sits in an open field just off the base of a small ridgeline.

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Makro Deephunter Pro 3D, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Its there you just have to look for a bigfoot.

Regards

LUE-Hawn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread