jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The story that i read said the Indians would go from Forest Grove and be back in two to three days with gold to pay there bill.Edwards butte is way to far.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Do I believe? Not much.

Is the area known for gold production?

No.

What is the geology of the area?

Mostly sandstone (sedimentary) and recent volanic activity from the Coast Range. While there is gold deposited in black sands of the Southern Oregon coast, from Florence south, there is little or no gold found north of Florence in coastal black sand deposits.

There is considerable fine gold in the Columbia River, and there have been some interesting estimates on the amount of gold in the ash fall from Mt. St. Helens eruption in 1980. Mostly that gold is so small (fine) as to be unrecoverable in sluice boxes or dredges.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you read the story?

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I've read _of_ several. Don't know what source you are using: el Hult in Lost Mines and Treasures of the Pacific Northwest? el Hult in Treasure Hunting Northwest? Newspaper article? Other book source? Magazine article?

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RUBY EL HULT is my favorite but any of those I guess. Do you believe that the Indians traded gold in Forest Grove?

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I'm fairly certain Native Americans found some gold and traded it in Forest Grove and elsewhere. I'm having a hard time believing it came from that area though, or was "mined" there, which throws the whole story into questionable range. Story doesn't name names, or even the tribe from which these alledged gold came from: very unusual. The Tchinook tribe further north along the Columbia River and at least a part of the Willamette River, did use salvaged gold coins as markers in a gambling game they played. There were some gold coins found in Indian graves uncovered during highway construction in Pacific County, Washington. So it is possible.

But in Forest Grove the Grand Ronde tribe more likely, and not recorded to have used gold for gambling or any other purpose.

Combined with the lack of known gold-producing areas nearby, makes this legend unlikely, I think. Not enough fact to warrant further research.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the Indians in Tillamook were the Kilchis. They had the well traveled trail from Tillamook to Gales creek, still parts of it used for Historical hiking trails today. Hwy 6 from Tillamook to Hwy 26 was partially built by following the Indian trail.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
jog said:
I believe the Indians in Tillamook were the Kilchis. They had the well traveled trail from Tillamook to Gales creek, still parts of it used for Historical hiking trails today. Hwy 6 from Tillamook to Hwy 26 was partially built by following the Indian trail.
Tillamook Bay hosted several related tribes, all sharing the name Tillamook. Kilchis River is one of the 5 rivers feeding into Tillamook Bay. The others include Miami, Wilson, Tillamook and Trask.

I don't think all Native Americans on Tillamook Bay were called Kilchis. I believe they were generically termed Tillamooks because of the shared Tillamook Bay watershed.

According to the Oregon Blue Book, there are currently 6 recently recognized tribes in Oregon: 1) Confederated Tribes of Siletz (1977); 2) Cow Creek Band of Umpqua (1982); 3) Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde (1983); 4) Confederated Tribes of Coos, Lower Umpqua and Siuslaw (1984); 5) Klamath Tribe (1984); and 6) Coquille Tribe (1989). In addition to these 6 recognized tribes are 3 tribes established by treaty and Executive Order: 1) Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs (Treaty of 1855); 2) Confederated Tribes of Umatilla (Treaty of 1855); and 3) Burns Paiute Tribe (Established by Executive Order in 1972). In the 1950s the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) instituted a Termination proceedings nationwide, resulting in termination of some 62 individual tribes in Oregon alone, and 105 tribes nationwide.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe your right about the Tillamook Indians, I haven't done a whole lot of research on the different Indian tribes. Last year while scouting an area of interest I found two of these. They were about a half mile apart and right next to the river. They also had a little fire pit in the center.

Attachments

• IMG_0366.JPG
    IMG_0366.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 5,395
  • IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 2,641
  • IMG_0377.JPG
    IMG_0377.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 2,778

wheelerite

Feb 2, 2008
canby,oregon
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
those huts are interesting and not very old, Did you find them on the north coast?I grew up in the nehalem area would be interested to know more about those huts. The last chinook native to that area died before I was born I believe. Also there is a creek called gold creek in the tillamook area and have seen some nice gold that come from it. ksmith

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wheelerite,
I located these huts last year, when I located them they still had green ferns on them in spots. I don't care to get to specific about the location but I will say they were east of Tillamook.
I live just up the rd from Gold Cr but I believe that is all Private now. Owned by the local timber company here in town.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread