Agate Beach, Oregon gold coin found

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
While living in Newport in 1978, started collecting coins from a nice coin dealer/photographer, Robert E. Troxel, in Newport. He got me started seriously collecting coins.

I was using my metal detector, a hipmount Coinmaster 5 Discriminator (one of the really early discriminator models). I started asking Mr. Troxel whether he knew of any gold or other coins being found in the area. He mentioned yes, he had seen a gold coin found wedged in rocks at near water-line near Agate Beach, which was only a few miles away from his store. He stated he couldn't figure out what the coin was doing there. Neither can I. No reports of shipwrecks carrying gold in the immediate area, although several other shipwrecks on the Oregon coast are either known or suspected of having carried gold coins, commonly used in the Triangle Trade route of the Pacific: San Francisco-Honolulu-Seattle.

I never saw the coin myself, but I trusted if anyone in the area had heard anything about coins in 1976 in Newport, it would have been Troxel.

He died in the 1980's.

jtomlinson

Jan 3, 2013
Newport
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75, Garret pro pointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live super close to agate beach. The only rock part is where the Ozzie's surf group go. It might be worth a look

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread